Steel price is going up.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
A little birdie (a birdie that I trust) told me the price for shiro and aogami will go up by 15-20% from January first. If you're thinking about ordering a knife you might want to do it now.

only $10/blade or therabouts, so 10-20% is <$2

but ...

I'm guessing there is a CPI increase in the works
and we should probably expect broader price
increases, rather than narrower ones
related just to a single input like steel.

curious what other folks are thinking
on these price increases and CPI
inflation in japan or europe etc.

What I heard was hitachi refusing to directly sell small quantities of white and blue to knifemakers anymore.

So for small knife makers you have to buy from resellers who buy in bulk.

My source tells me Hitachi hasn't done a run of ao or shirogami in years so everyone is working with what's left in stock but many are running out. They're now focussing in pre-laminated aogami (rikizai) and thicker bars of ao and shirogami. Thicker bars take more time to reduce in thickness so the price goes up.

My source tells me Hitachi hasn't done a run of ao or shirogami in years so everyone is working with what's left in stock but many are running out. They're now focussing in pre-laminated aogami (rikizai) and thicker bars of ao and shirogami. Thicker bars take more time to reduce in thickness so the price goes up.

Wouldn't some of this be solved via substitution of steels, e.g. Takefu Shiro and V-Toku for Hitachi White and Blue?

I suppose it wouldn't make much of a difference for knives but for tools (chisels, plane blades) it's not that simple. The people use who use them are often very traditional. I would have no problem with a chisel made with Lohmann 125SC or Swedish steel but it's not easy to get a miyadaiku or sashimono to switch to another steel.

Just noticed TF has increased direct sale prices 20% recently. Thats quite a price hike. Can't be solely due to core steel costs.

Back