Stick Blender Mayo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars

Founding Member
Reaction score
Not rocket science, but this works for me every time.

1 egg yolk
1/2 egg white
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
150ml neutral oil

Pour everything into a jar and let the the oil settle at the top. Start by pulsing and the egg and mustard will begin to emulsify, then blend everything together on full.

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

this works for me every time.

every time? i've had it not work once or twice, and i have no clue why. i've read that you should add the oil slowly for that reason, but idk. i wish i knew why it can sometimes fail.

basically sometimes it just doesn't thicken up and emulsify properly.

every time? i've had it not work once or twice, and i have no clue why. i've read that you should add the oil slowly for that reason, but idk. i wish i knew why it can sometimes fail.

basically sometimes it just doesn't thicken up and emulsify properly.
I've only had problems if I didn't stick to the proportions or didn't let everything settle before blending.

Funny, today I made another attempt at making Mayo (all previous attempts somehow failed miserably) and it worked...using a stick blender and a whole egg , hurray!
(next time I need to add more vinegar and mustard)

Watching this thread. I can only get it to work maybe one in 3 or 4 times, so I'm interested to pick up any tips.

It works reliably for me, but you've got to use the right vessel relative to your stick blender. Blend from the bottom and pull up slowly. Kenji did a Serious Eats piece on the technique and I'm pretty sure there's a video somewhere.

When someone asks me what uncommon item that should be in every cook's kitchen, I immediately think of one of these, a stainless steel steam table insert. They are perfect for things like making mayo as on this thread. I use it to stick blend red sauce, whip cream, or even to beat a small batch of cake batter with a hand mixer. It's so much easier to clean than a regular blender or a stand mixer. Find them easily at restaurant supply stores.
20221207_174332.jpg

Last edited:
Personally - I can taste/feel the difference between an emulsion sauce made by hand versus with a bladed machine, although robot coupe is better than blender. The move I like is to use the immersion blender with a whisk attachment!

I use a pint size mason jar and it works perfectly for this. Like others have said, the head of the blender needs to be about the same diameter as the vessel.

Man I did a 2 year stint in a high volume place. We used to do it in a 22qt cambro and used a bazooka motor boat big stick. It was like 60 yolks and a quart of water and lemon juice and the other usual suspects. When I got good at it I could start the blender at the bottom, pull the stick up and sew together 20 quarts in about 30 seconds. It was fkn disgusting.

Man I did a 2 year stint in a high volume place. We used to do it in a 22qt cambro and used a bazooka motor boat big stick. It was like 60 yolks and a quart of water and lemon juice and the other usual suspects. When I got good at it I could start the blender at the bottom, pull the stick up and sew together 20 quarts in about 30 seconds. It was fkn disgusting.
Oh God! Brings back memories of being CDP on Garde Mange 🥺

The blades denature the fat of olive oil and for some reason makes it taste nasty bitter. I once make like a gallon of salad dressing that way for an event, it was pretty bad. :-( If you want to emulsify olive oil, use a whisk, if you need to do a ton, use the whisk attachment in a stand mixer.

"Light," highly processed olive oil is fine. It's the polyphenols that go bitter, and those aren't really there anymore in that product. If you do want to add EVOO to a mayo, make it with another neutral oil first and then whisk in a small amount to finish. It doesn't take much to give it flavor and you don't have to worry about bitterness.

Thanks. I was curious as the Italians use olive oil, so I figured it must be the lighter oil. I just bought some Tunisian olive oil and I'm eager to try it, just not by making mayo with it. So far I've found Spanish and Greek Olive oils to be fantastic.

Back