stocking up on wood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I have found myself recently stocking up on wood from Mark for handles for knives that I don't even own yet. Anybody else sitting on a pile of wood without knives to put them on or is it just me?

The reason I brought this up was I just bought a block of the Koa he just got in-I couldn't resist!
Pesky

I have found myself recently stocking up on wood from Mark for handles for knives that I don't even own yet. Anybody else sitting on a pile of wood without knives to put them on or is it just me?

Pesky

I can't wait to hear what people say. I have a funny feeling there's more than a few of you wood-a-holic hoarders here. :)

I don't even know what you are talking about...

Stefan

I have 3 blocks--stablized black palm, stablized quilted maple, and red malee burl. And I only have plans to use one of them on a knife I currently own.

So yes.
:Stefan:

I have a few G worth of wood for handles, boards, accessories, you name it. Too lazy to sort through and send to K&G to stabilize. :)

I've been bitten by this bug. I have 5 blocks from Mark and I just bought one from Randy. At least this habit is cheaper that buying knives. Oh, wait a minute, this habit perpetuates the other one doesn't it?

i have a 27 drawer kobalt tool cheast for handle stuffs and i think i need a 2nd

I have a couple pieces floating around... But I want to play supermarket sweep in Marko or Stefan's collections... Just put 60 seconds on the clock and give me a cart!

Anybody have any willow burl in their epic collections they feel like parting with?

The nice thing about this forum is that I am not the craziest one anymore :) I have a hard time counting, but I know I have at least 5-6G in wood, probably more. Actually, I just bought enough for about 100 handles this week alone... The stuff sits in tubs and on shelves, much less organized than Butch and Del.

Stefan

P.S. Sorry, no willow burl. I am limiting the variety a bit, too tough to keep up with everything.

i have ten pieces of spalted maple burl blocks that need to be stabilized, two large madrone burl blocks and two large redwood burl blocks and one set of redwood burl scales that also need to be stabilized.

The nice thing about this forum is that I am not the craziest one anymore :) I have a hard time counting, but I know I have at least 5-6G in wood, probably more. Actually, I just bought enough for about 100 handles this week alone... The stuff sits in tubs and on shelves, much less organized than Butch and Del.

Stefan

P.S. Sorry, no willow burl. I am limiting the variety a bit, too tough to keep up with everything.

Its actually one of the few things I am really organized about, I have a seperate drawer for each type of wood, although there a couple that have to share a drawer. My top drawer is the most sparse, its for ivory and pearl.
Del

I started acquiring a little here and there a few months ago. I now have about a dozen blocks. I have some handles that need making but I can't decide what block to use. I just pick them up and stare at them and then put them away until I get the urge to attempt to decide again...:dontknow:

Anybody have any willow burl in their epic collections they feel like parting with?

I had a piece around here somewhere...where did it go...oh, yes, now I remember! I sent it out to Rader so he could slap it on my next knife. Sorry 'bout that.

I have a small pile, although it is diminishing as I get knives/handles made. I've had about 5 pieces from Mark/Burl Source, 3 are handles or being made into handles, 2 are still to be decided. I've had a bunch of pieces from Craig Stevens as well, 1 is done, 3 are in the works, and 2 are already pegged for an upcoming project. And then I have about 6 other pieces from other vendors lingering around here somewhere. Running out of projects, so I am slowing down on the stockpiling, but if I see an amazing piece I will still grab it, just in case.

You guys are crazy. I have no idea what you are all talking about

The pile is growing, guess I have wood for 20-25 knives or so atm. :)

I have tons of wood, including some like ancient Kauri that I have yet to use and other stuff like ebony, that I don't use anymore.

I have enough wood to keep 10 full time makers busy for a few years....I am about to start counting it by tons....

When does Craig Stevens start his ebay auctions? Is it Tuesdays?

guilty. 9 blocks and growing:whistling:

I have tons of wood, including some like ancient Kauri that I have yet to use and other stuff like ebony, that I don't use anymore.

That ancient Kauri polishes up beautifully. You should make use of it on your next knife. (Looks great with coper)

That ancient Kauri polishes up beautifully. You should make use of it on your next knife. (Looks great with coper)

I killed three kauri whitebait blanks on the drill press recently, it just split/cracked on me. Looks great when done, but seems to be a bit temperamental at times.

Stefan

Back