Stone Burial Ground.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
20210107_153229.jpg

RIP my coarse boi. You grew to thin for this world.

Although sad, it's impressive to see a stone being used such well.
Thanks I suppose I only flattened the thing maybe 2 times too. I tend not to because I don't have anything coarse enough. When you use a 140 grit diamond plate on it, basically it feels like you are sharpening on glass. It takes a while to get back to the proper coarseness.

Because of that, with this stone I tended to just watch for where it's getting worn down, and start only using the high spots. Worked well till it broke. I was butter knifing my miyabi kaizen, because I decided to change the profile to something less curved. I was using my atoma, but it was going to slow, because its worn away the abrasives so much that the middle of it feels smooth.

Anyway. I'm going to see about saving this stone. Like others have said, I can glue it to a base. I've only ever used one side so it will have a nice flat surface to mount on the base.

maybe you just need to get a new one? you know what i do with coarse stones sometimes?
i simply buy 2 of the same and then glue them together. that way they last twice as long. sciencey :)

maybe you just need to get a new one? you know what i do with coarse stones sometimes?
i simply buy 2 of the same and then glue them together. that way they last twice as long. sciencey :)
I know I need to. It's just money is really tight right now. I'm hoping I can get a new one soon, if you can't tell it gets a lot of use.

16121930244292506128453145464099.jpg

IDK if it comes off in the picture, but the middle is worn completely smooth. I just got a replacement "blade" for it that I stuck on the other side. So this side will be retired to only stone flattening. With the new one being used to repair work.

Gorilla glue ... expandable polyurethane. Activates in the presence of moisture. I used it extensively in previous wood working projects. Has a better working time than epoxies in my experience. Sandable after setup but sticks aggressively to most everything. Gap filling. I think it would be perfect to adhere a stone to a wood block but I haven’t done it .... yet.

Light green are the 400s
Dark green is the 1000
Pink is 3000
Grey is 5000
and the one on top is the Nanohone 400

That explains the mystery Nanohone!

Looks like three 400 and one 1K? How much sharpening do you do? It must be a hell of a lot - particularly to munch through a 5k!!

Can I ask which of these two stones you prefer? What are the pros and cons of each?

Both are great stones, can’t go wrong with any of them. Both are splash & go

They both cut decently fast however I find the Nanohone a little too soft for me. If you’re looking for a stone for thinning/flattening out bevels I’d get the Nanohone 200. For Kasumi I would get the Morihei 500

Back