Stone Findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But this is kinda cool. The Zulu has a black spot on it.
Upon closer inspection, looks like I might be able to retire!
Snap_008.jpg

View attachment 228754

Haha! Alas this is a pyrite inclusion, you see them a bit in some types of stone.

Interestingly - pyrite's range of hardness is right up around that of hardened steel, which means that sometimes it might be a bit of a problem for a razor's edge (I assume the Zulu is for razors), sometimes not. If you notice it making a difference at all then you may just have to dig out very slightly.

Alternatively of course you could just lap the bottom and see what that's like...

View attachment 228754

Haha! Alas this is a pyrite inclusion, you see them a bit in some types of stone.

Interestingly - pyrite's range of hardness is right up around that of hardened steel, which means that sometimes it might be a bit of a problem for a razor's edge (I assume the Zulu is for razors), sometimes not. If you notice it making a difference at all then you may just have to dig out very slightly.

Alternatively of course you could just lap the bottom and see what that's like...
Recently I've been experimenting with slates that I literally picked out of tailings from old gold mines. One in particular did have some tiny flecks of gold, which look a bit different to pyrite in the sun. But, where there is gold there is often pyrite, and as @cotedupy says, looking at my edges under magnification, the stones with pyrite specs do scratch up a razors bevel a bit. They will become sharp, but a little harsh on the skin.
D90E409F-478A-48CE-A510-4258F88A28E8.jpeg

For those who haven't tried Scotch stones, I highly recommend the following eBay seller -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/terrikelly3
I have bought a couple myself and had a quick chat with her. She has been helping the mine owner doing quite a bit of cleanup and sells directly from the warehouse at the mine so all stones are NOS. The Tams and Water of Ayrs are being sold for pennies considering how much they usually go for.

For those interested - I have posted a couple short reviews on my Instagram.

8CAD5217-5952-4E13-9337-C001F8BEF8B2.png

Wago on Instagram has a couple boxes of omura.

Underneath it says aato (how they spell it), also 120 grit. Arato? Surely not aoto.

Idk. A nice omura seems like it’d be fun to use.

Last edited:
What was this red rock likely to be?

Attachments

• 1685033764338.png
    1685033764338.png
    826.4 KB · Views: 1
Back