• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Stone recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apocalypse

Reaction score
So now that I finally have a couple of my end game knives and am working on the last two, I was wondering if I could get a couple stone recommendations.

In particular I want a solid home setup in order to really take care of my kitaeji. As such, what are some of your favorite recommendations for me?

My budget is pretty flexible if that matters.

Last edited:
I’ve tried most of the higher end synthetics, and despite not being “sexy”, I usually end up coming back to the Shapton glass stones. Hard wearing, fast cutting, consistent, “cheap”. One of the Shapton or nanohone “button” style diamond flattening plates will be my next buy after my DMT extra coarse diamond plate wears out, but it’s taken me over 5 years to get close. The 500 and 2k Shapton glass are some of the standouts, for me.

Finger stones are the cheat code for polish. Just so much easier than trying to do it on a flat stone. Use blue painters tape as the backing instead of the traditional paper/glue method.

On cheaper knives I’ll often stop after 2k and just run a small square of worn out green scotchbrite up and down the blade road to knock down the finish to a soft brushed look.

BB174D38-A176-47B2-A3E0-56718C1D1ED0.jpeg6058E25A-AB26-47E4-8AE7-95926C6CA33E.jpegCE184476-566A-48BF-B19A-CA61861EEC8E.jpegB692FC82-622C-4C9A-8FEE-26AA397FB13F.jpeg0AAFA7FC-BC78-4939-8F64-C62F8E184F2B.jpegD5F2F61A-2827-4C98-8775-C60D88937E48.jpegAB6668D9-18C9-4509-B14F-5E5F7DD7D2BE.jpeg

I’ve tried most of the higher end synthetics, and despite not being “sexy”, I usually end up coming back to the Shapton glass stones. Hard wearing, fast cutting, consistent, “cheap”. One of the Shapton or nanohone “button” style diamond flattening plates will be my next buy after my DMT extra coarse diamond plate wears out, but it’s taken me over 5 years to get close. The 500 and 2k Shapton glass are some of the standouts, for me.

Finger stones are the cheat code for polish. Just so much easier than trying to do it on a flat stone. Use blue painters tape as the backing instead of the traditional paper/glue method.

On cheaper knives I’ll often stop after 2k and just run a small square of worn out green scotchbrite up and down the blade road to knock down the finish to a soft brushed look.

View attachment 149964View attachment 149965View attachment 149966View attachment 149967View attachment 149968View attachment 149969View attachment 149970

I appreciate that, thank you!

Is this meant to be a WTB thread or is it meant to be a "which stone should I buy" thread?

That is to say, are you asking people to sell you their unwanted stones or are you just looking for advice on which stones to buy?

If it's the latter, I'll move the thread out of BST

Last edited:
Kind of both. I'd be interested in buying anything good people are willing to part with as well

PM me, I can send you a couple finger stones if you’re interested.

Reach out to “Japanese natural stones” proprietor (maxim im pretty sure) if you want to get serious.

PM me, I can send you a couple finger stones if you’re interested.

Reach out to “Japanese natural stones” proprietor (maxim im pretty sure) if you want to get serious.

Appreciate you! I ordered a few finger stones actually! And did message Maxim!

Back