Stone(s?) after chosera 3000 before the naturals?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiru

Reaction score
Hi guys, do you think it’s necessary to get a stone after the chosera 3000 before naturals for polishing?(san mai construction)
Right now I’ve got a morihei 4000, rika 5000 and arashiyama 6000.
from what I can see, the arashiyama is a stone that’s definitely finer than the cho 3000(judging by the hard steel) but I’m uncertain if it’s doing anything with the iron since the finish on both the Cho 3000 and arashiyama is so dark. I doubt the rika and morihei will be doing any extra work on the hard steel.
That being said, I’ve heard things about the naniwa super stones (3, 5k) saying they polish the iron to almost mirror, do you think it’s necessary to get them just to clean the iron up to mirror before going to naturals?

I personally dont feel like it's necessary but then I have a finer aizu that works fantastically after the my Naniwa branded 3000.

it really just depends what stone you plan to use after it. if you have some mega hard Nakayama that's not going to have enough grunt to do it then no you need something else but I cant think of any of my tomaes or suitas that would not work after that stone.

Please be aware the Chosera 3k delivers a much finer end result than the the name suggests. Not only the initial grit is higher, but it refines during the sharpening.

Back