Stone storage

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much this:
SMALL Stone Storage.JPG

Mesh file folder holders. Cheap. The mesh allows for drainage.

The ones that are too thick for this are on thick wool felt I glued to shelves.

I keep my most used gear in a plastic tub that doubles as a sharpening "table" with the addition of a flat cookie sheet.

Contents have changed but still the same tub.

c8ubPsS.jpg

eO1S8OF.jpg

SMD65fN.jpg

mIDGvpN.jpg

This brings the work up high enough that your neck doesn't hurt if you have a longer session. Super convenient.

Last edited:
When I had to carry this f***ing massive, weird-shape, shelf/drawer thing downstairs after my wife bought it in some auction, I was a more than a smidgen annoyed.

Look who’s laughing now though!

ABC9CDA8-6AD9-40D2-BF6B-8A857E7F0ACE.jpeg

That the naturals. Most of my synths are in a bucket in the kitchen.

I use a wire rack near the sink for the daily go too's. I keep the ones that get use occasionally on top of a cabinet, and then there is the closet of shame for the rest.

Attachments

• 55EA37B9-7A26-4614-8B44-ABF3564BB881.jpeg
    55EA37B9-7A26-4614-8B44-ABF3564BB881.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 945C70FE-BE9D-4EDB-9983-42292118D727.jpeg
    945C70FE-BE9D-4EDB-9983-42292118D727.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 46
If you keep the boxes they come with,
You can just stack them, in any closet, any corner or whatever? Why the need for a plastic box.

Without the boxes I wouldnt stack them. Hate the idea of contamination by other stones (although it probably doesnt matter) or collecting dust by laying naked in a room without a box.

I keep mine on a shelf.

View attachment 169806

And the boxes on a different shelf

Except for a few emergency ones stashed in my knife drawer, backpack, knife roll, desk, car, shed, luggage, toolboxes, friends and relatives houses, etc.

I see a shelf of slurry 🤡

I think I can save a lot of time, cleaning my stones afterwards, if I see this.

When I had to carry this f***ing massive, weird-shape, shelf/drawer thing downstairs after my wife bought it in some auction, I was a more than a smidgen annoyed.

Look who’s laughing now though!

View attachment 169631

That the naturals. Most of my synths are in a bucket in the kitchen.
I think you hold the record for most stones owned by a hobbiest ever my friend! That's an insane collection. There's only one other guy I can think of who might own more, and he's a seller (Keith V. Johnson) from Tomo Nagura. What stone don't you own?

I had a low shelf put in that really doesn’t fit anything but stones. Could use more air flow I suppose, but you can really jam a bunch in there if you need to.View attachment 169810

Some of you guys must have hundreds of pounds of stones 🤣
Maybe I spoke too soon, you own a hell of a lot of stones as well! I can see you have one of those Chinese 12k stones. What's the skinny on that stone, is it a good stone?

Maybe I spoke too soon, you own a hell of a lot of stones as well! I can see you have one of those Chinese 12k stones. What's the skinny on that stone, is it a good stone?

There’s a few, as they’re easier to hide from the wife than more knives!

Is it the thin white one at the front of the synthetic pile? That one’s a 12k Naniwa superstone - I bought it way back when higher grit was a the path to sharpness, and haven’t given it a real chance since. Apparently it’s a soaker, but I haven’t used it as such. It’s mainly my high polish stone, the last stone if I’m chasing a mirror polish. Either that or for the aesthetics of the edge bevel for customer’s knives. Yes, *that* kind of customer 🙄.

The edge it leaves is indeed very keen, and it’s a easy to use 12k with reasonable feedback. I find it too polished for general use and red meats, but killer for raw fish.

There’s a few, as they’re easier to hide from the wife than more knives!

Is it the thin white one at the front of the synthetic pile? That one’s a 12k Naniwa superstone - I bought it way back when higher grit was a the path to sharpness, and haven’t given it a real chance since. Apparently it’s a soaker, but I haven’t used it as such. It’s mainly my high polish stone, the last stone if I’m chasing a mirror polish. Either that or for the aesthetics of the edge bevel for customer’s knives. Yes, *that* kind of customer 🙄.

The edge it leaves is indeed very keen, and it’s a easy to use 12k with reasonable feedback. I find it too polished for general use and red meats, but killer for raw fish.
It's from Stringer's collection. It's on the cart, right side, top. It has Chinese 12K written on the end (I think). Your collection is really nice as well. I see a natural stone above the sink that looks pretty sweet (fourth stone from the left).

I see a shelf of slurry 🤡

I think I can save a lot of time, cleaning my stones afterwards, if I see this.

I have never paid too much attention to cross contamination. I don't even really segregate my oil and water stones.

I haven't used it in a long time. I initially bought it for razors but found that it was not as hard or as fine as I like for my razor finishers. Probably more like 6-8k. And much slower than I prefer for knife work. It actually doesn't do too bad of a job polishing. It does okay as a final deburring stone. I think it would be a good slurry stone if I ever get around to cutting it up. They are very cheap for a (pre) finish level full sized bench stone. Just kind of slow.

I have never paid too much attention to cross contamination. I don't even really segregate my oil and water stones.

I haven't used it in a long time. I initially bought it for razors but found that it was not as hard or as fine as I like for my razor finishers. Probably more like 6-8k. And much slower than I prefer for knife work. It actually doesn't do too bad of a job polishing. It does okay as a final deburring stone. I think it would be a good slurry stone if I ever get around to cutting it up. They are very cheap for a (pre) finish level full sized bench stone. Just kind of slow.
I've heard a lot about them, some people swear by them (like the La Roccia stones) and others say they're not all that great. Will you be cutting it up to act like a mid-range tomo, or will you use more like a dressing stone?

I've heard a lot about them, some people swear by them (like the La Roccia stones) and others say they're not all that great. Will you be cutting it up to act like a mid-range tomo, or will you use more like a dressing stone?

It would probably get used for both. But that's assuming that I ever take the time to do it which is doubtful. Just something that I have thought about.

It would probably get used for both. But that's assuming that I ever take the time to do it which is doubtful. Just something that I have thought about.
Do you have a set way to cut your stones? So far I've used a coping saw with a little help from a rotary tool and a fiberglass saw bit. I used the fiberglass to cut a line then finished with the little coping saw. I might try a hacksaw next time, but the blades are thicker, and I didn't want to loose a lot of stone from the cut.

I think you hold the record for most stones owned by a hobbiest ever my friend! That's an insane collection. There's only one other guy I can think of who might own more, and he's a seller (Keith V. Johnson) from Tomo Nagura. What stone don't you own?

Haha... I've got a lot of things covered certainly, but there are a few things still on the list which would be nice; Fiddich River, Water of Ayr, Mudgee, Camrock Silkstone, Dalmore Yellow in particular.

(I do sell and sharpen knives for a living though, so most of them get a decent run out :))

Haha... I've got a lot of things covered certainly, but there are a few things still on the list which would be nice; Fiddich River, Water of Ayr, Mudgee, Camrock Silkstone, Dalmore Yellow in particular.

(I do sell and sharpen knives for a living though, so most of them get a decent run out :))
Ah, I didn't know you sharpened knives for a living! Now it makes more sense to me. I've seen your posts on different forums. You also hone razors right, but not professionally, for yourself. You have a huge collection. Do you have a favorite Jnat?

Now a few pictures of my "stone warehouse"...
IMG_20220314_183016672.jpg
IMG_20220314_182828496.jpg
IMG_20220314_183545415.jpg

Permanent storage location for favorites, always at hand

IMG_20220314_183034073.jpg

Permasoaking-station right, simple-green-box left..

IMG_20220314_183356543.jpg

IMG_20220314_183346231.jpg

The rest of the equipment and many more stones in the closet.

Below in the woven basket and the box only natural stones.

In the 4 green boxes above, mostly synthetic stones + a few natural stones.

The top green box consists only of Shaptons, Pro and Glass

Since I can't move very well at the moment and I'm not allowed to lift anything heavy at the moment, I can only show the pictures of the boxes, sorry!

Oh yes, a few stones are still in the basement with the tools and a few scattered here and there in the apartment...

Latest posts

Back