Stone to follow King 1200?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidSnake03

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I'm looking to get a fellow cooking friend set up with a fairly affordable stone set. I gifted the guy my old King 1200 stone (great stone for the money if you can deal with the mud and dishing....) and want to help steer him towards another high grit stone to buy. Price wise, there isn't a set budget but don't want to go crazy and recommend a $100+ stone. The guy is fairly frugal and as a result I'm trying to help him put together a really solid set that will put a very nice edge on his various knives (a Wustie, MAC Pro, Fuji FKM, Gesshin Uraku and a couple various White #2 and Blue #2).

I was thinking something along the lines of this for the whole set up
King 1200 --> High Grit --> Dave's 1u Diamond Spray on Balsa (letting him share mine)
Figure that should put a killer edge on most of his stuff for fairly cheap.....only issue is deciding on the High Grit stone. I have been considering the following:

King 6000
Suehiro Rika 5k
Arashiyama (Takenoko) 6k
?? (any others I should be considering)

Thanks!

Price wise, there isn't a set budget but don't want to go crazy and recommend a $100+ stone. The guy is fairly frugal and as a result I'm trying to help him put together a really solid set that will put a very nice edge on his various knives (a Wustie, MAC Pro, Fuji FKM, Gesshin Uraku and a couple various White #2 and Blue #2). !

Crazy doesn't start till $1,000+ :groucho:

5K Rika is a great value, can used on anything. For me it shines when I want a mirror finish on stainless. Jon's 4K would also fit well. Not as familiar with Jon's 6K offerings but they are certainly worth a look.

Thanks for the replies guys! I knew the Rika got a lot of love here and figured that would be the one most people recommended. That said, I still wanted to ask a bit and see what people liked.

The Gesshin stuff is very nice but I think in this case kinda out of the price range or would be tough for me to justify to the guy given that the Rika is at such a good price point.

The King 6k is a nice stone, I've used one for a5 years or more. Just upgraded to the Arashiyama, but have not used it yet, nothing to sharpen at the moment.

The King will be less than half the price of the Arashiyama typically.

Peter

King makes a 6000 grit stone, sold in two sizes, S-45 and S-3. I have the large one, and a box labeled S-3, so I think that is right, but I've had the stone for 15 years or so and honestly don't remember. Nothing spectacular, but a nice stone and quite inexpensive. Wears slowly and makes lots of black swarf, so I think it cuts pretty fast. I'll compare it to an Arashiyama 6k when I get around to sharpening again.

Peter

Back