story of a stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 🙏🏻.
I‘m pretty happy with how things worked out with this stone.
Actually the seller and I made an agreement and he refunded me half of the stone cost and the shipping which was fine for me as I was pretty certain that I could salvage it.
Yes this is what people refer to as a kasumi finish, kasumi meaning cloudy. That kind of finish highlights the contrast between core steel and cladding which is mostly aesthetic but it’s said that the not highly polished surface also helps to reduce food sticking to the blade (I‘m not entirely sure if that’s true though 😁)

Hello,

I'm not sure of the grit, but that looks to be a pretty fine stone. I guess you could have made it into two razor hones if it didn't work out for a larger knife. If you were happy with the seller taking half off the price + no shipping, then I guess that's fair enough, though you had to work hard to restore the stone.

You are correct, the finer the polish (like a mirror finish) the more food will stick to the blade. You'd think a mirror finish would help stop food from sticking, but it acts like a suction cup. The reason I asked about there being any practical benefits with the kasumi finish is because I have a Gyuto made from Shirogami #1, and it rusts rather quickly. If I'm cutting sushi and I don't rinse and dry the blade right after cutting, orange rust will appear very, very quickly.

Last night I made some makizushi (sushi rolls) and made sure to wipe the blade clean after every few cuts and I had no rust problems at all. Problem is, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to do that all the time. I just took a look at the blade (I left it out in the open air, sitting in the box with the top off) and there's some very, very faint rust. You can onlty see it if the light hits the blade just right. Regardless, it's a problem that needs a solution.

I've heard I should cut up some onions with the blade and it will develop a natural patina fairly quickly. I might give that a try, though I have cut onions with this knife before, but noticed little difference.

Good luck with your stone!

Hello,

I'm not sure of the grit, but that looks to be a pretty fine stone. I guess you could have made it into two razor hones if it didn't work out for a larger knife. If you were happy with the seller taking half off the price + no shipping, then I guess that's fair enough, though you had to work hard to restore the stone.

You are correct, the finer the polish (like a mirror finish) the more food will stick to the blade. You'd think a mirror finish would help stop food from sticking, but it acts like a suction cup. The reason I asked about there being any practical benefits with the kasumi finish is because I have a Gyuto made from Shirogami #1, and it rusts rather quickly. If I'm cutting sushi and I don't rinse and dry the blade right after cutting, orange rust will appear very, very quickly.

Last night I made some makizushi (sushi rolls) and made sure to wipe the blade clean after every few cuts and I had no rust problems at all. Problem is, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to do that all the time. I just took a look at the blade (I left it out in the open air, sitting in the box with the top off) and there's some very, very faint rust. You can onlty see it if the light hits the blade just right. Regardless, it's a problem that needs a solution.

I've heard I should cut up some onions with the blade and it will develop a natural patina fairly quickly. I might give that a try, though I have cut onions with this knife before, but noticed little difference.

Cut onions. Rub onion all over if needed. Let sit for a minute or so. Turn on hot water. Rinse under hot water. Dry.

Nice job! It will mean much more to you since you have invested so much time into it. I would have shipped it back for sure unless I got it stupid cheap.

Hello,

Cut onions. Rub onion all over if needed. Let sit for a minute or so. Turn on hot water. Rinse under hot water. Dry.
This. I have also had good experiences with using a lemon for establishing a stable patina.

Nice job! It will mean much more to you since you have invested so much time into it. I would have shipped it back for sure unless I got it stupid cheap.
As this was a private sale from a guy I know we have come to this agreement and it worked for both of us. But I can definitely understand your feelings about this.

Actually the stone is already sold and on it's way to another member as my priorities shifted a bit letely and I got rid of all my jnats except one Suita that I'm personally attached to.

Back