Stringer WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one more half an onion left. So I did one more to demonstrate how useful the vertical method is for finely mincing (brunoise).

IMG_20190319_100411.jpg

Today I did some work on a Forgecraft 10" Chef Knife. I received this knife in what appeared to be pretty much new old stock condition. I have used it for about a year. Just touching up the edge here and there. I decided I needed to really put it through it's paces. I started with King Deluxe 300. Then shapton glass 500. Then glass 2000, 4000, 8000.
I stropped in between grits on leather, paper, soft wood, cork. Not all every time. Just I tend to remove the burr working gently through lots of media.
There were some low spots from the original grind. I didn't bother smoothing these all the way out. I just gave myself a few mm of cushion between them and the edge. They will work there way out over time.
I did notice a very crumbly weak shiny wire burr break off when I first went to the glass 2k. It left a visibly jagged edge several inches long. I assumed this was fatigued metal. Went back and did a few more passes on the 500 until I had nice fresh strong steel. I didn't notice anything else funky as I went back to the 2k and up the progression. Anyways. It performs pretty good. I will probably rehandle eventually, but this one is in immaculate condition, so it seems a shame to mess with it. I have a couple more much rougher ones that will get new kicks.

First, from when I bought it.

IMG_20180529_084957.jpg

A group picture
IMG_20180806_200613.jpg

Today after sharpening and polishing the bevels. You can see the low spots.
IMG_20190325_150538.jpg

IMG_20190325_150521.jpg

IMG_20190325_150054.jpg

IMG_20190325_150301.jpg

And the patina after some test cutting. The first onion turned black in like 3 seconds.
IMG_20190325_161608.jpg

I put a handle on the Martell Petty blank. I am pretty happy with it. Bocote and peened brass pins. Sorry that the photos are crap. I still need to finish the blade. I did a vinegar and mustard etch and then sharpened to 2000 grit. I plan on taking it to 8000 and then polishing the blade road with sand paper. It will give a nice contrast with the dark part. At least for a little bit until the patina turns everything gun metal gray.

IMG_20190422_165457.jpg

IMG_20190422_165447.jpg

Test Chop Onion

Nice job, I actually like it as is rough and rustic blade. Bocote is one of my favorite woods, so two thumbs up!

Started working on my next project today. My first knife starting from annealed steel. I'm using 1095 that is .14" / 3.5mm thick. The blade profile will be similar to Watanabe or Masashi. Tall, 270mm santoku basically. With a Sabatier style Western handle. Brass bolsters.

IMG_20190502_164846.jpg

My neighbor asked me to sharpen his cleaver. I didn't really know what to expect. He was a garbage collector in Boston for a lot of years. One day this fell out of a garbage bag and he kept it. Foster Bros 1180.
She's a beautiful beast of burden. I cleaned it up, but not too much. Didn't want to ruin the character.
First I got most of the chips out and established a new convex bevel with the slack belt. Apexed it and deburred by honing in hand with a Debado 200. Further deburr with split leather paddle loaded with CrOx and then clean split leather paddle. She's sharp.

Before Pic
IMG_20200113_190059.jpg

After
IMG_20200129_183045.jpg

IMG_20200129_183519.jpg

IMG_20200129_183529.jpg

IMG_20200129_183510.jpg

I did a once over with the belt sander on the handle. I also polished up the faces a little. Knocked off the rust.

Here's the sharpness Test

Started working on my next project today. My first knife starting from annealed steel. I'm using 1095 that is .14" / 3.5mm thick. The blade profile will be similar to Watanabe or Masashi. Tall, 270mm santoku basically. With a Sabatier style Western handle. Brass bolsters.

View attachment 52617

did you finish this one?

heheh i understand. i bought a small corded beltgrinder (for wood) that i can use outside my house for grinding steel. it beats sandpaper/stones/files at least.

I might try something else to get it done. In the thread where the dude converts the Shig from a santoku to funayuki he uses a little orbital detail sander clamped upside down. I have a regular Bosch orbital sander I think I can use the same way. Beats the hell out of trying to do it with the Crystolon and my steel files. And less noise and mess than using the belt sander with the platen.

One day this fell out of a garbage bag

:eek:.... an.... an evidence bag!? :D

Here's the sharpness Test

Good job! Love the cheeky grin. Lucky neighbour!

Beats the hell out of trying to do it with the Crystolon and my steel files

What stage are you up to? Sound like you have finished the profile and moved on to the grind? Im not so sure an orbital sander is quieter than a belt sander by a large enough margin to justify the reduced efficacy. Smaller pads. Less useful motion.... The belt sander is definitely the fastest/easiest option.... I would suffer the clean up for that. I empathise with the noise point. If noise concerns prevent you from spending a few hours grinding, files probably are your best option :(?

My wife has got a new job. We are moving to Northern Virginia in December. We will be able to afford a house where I can have a real workshop. But I am still going to miss my little spare bedroom setup. Cluttered, but everything in arm's reach. We have to get the room painted and cleaned up so I started packing today. I took a few photos for memories' sake.

PXL_20201021_173342235.jpg

My straight razor collection has got a little out of hand. I tell my wife it's all about perspective. I still only have one brush and one mug and some guys really go crazy.

PXL_20201022_132814576.jpg

My wife has got a new job. We are moving to Northern Virginia in December. We will be able to afford a house where I can have a real workshop. But I am still going to miss my little spare bedroom setup. Cluttered, but everything in arm's reach. We have to get the room painted and cleaned up so I started packing today. I took a few photos for memories' sake.

View attachment 99860
My straight razor collection has got a little out of hand. I tell my wife it's all about perspective. I still only have one brush and one mug and some guys really go crazy.

View attachment 99861

Too bad! I was gonna ask you about a get together after covid. :)

That’s awesome about the move, though. I’m jealous of your forthcoming workshop space. Congrats, man.

Back