• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Striped multicolored aoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2.2kg / 4 lb 14 oz
215mm x 63mm x 63mm

$140 global, $110 conus

Middle of road aoto in hardness and fineness, and slightly on the faster disheyer side. A muddy stone. The grit has a fluffy feel... It doesn't like to congeal. Like fine powder. There are long surface cracks on the two long surfaces. And some on the ends. The stone is sealed with a couple thin coats of water based urethane. I thought the sharpening feel was luxurious, which is one of the very few stones of any kind I've tried that I would characterize like this. But I don't like muddy stones. The haze on the iron is a soft white grey, as opposed to dark.

Possibly a miyagawa aoto, but not sure. Could be an ibaraki region aoto too

Stone feels solid but yeah, has lots of cracks.

PXL_20211003_231504307.jpg
PXL_20211003_232126797.jpg
PXL_20211003_231844303.jpg
PXL_20211003_231909416.jpg

Last edited:
Price? Or is it acquired by a DM?
Thank you!

I’ve not owned stones with notable cracks - even sealed is it just a matter of time before it would cleave along one of those lines. Or is it more of a “don’t drop it and you’ll be fine” sort of thing? I know that is a hard question and depends how it is wetted and dried, etc. Just trying to learn how to evaluate this. Thank you!

Honestly, I have no idea. I would super glue the cracks though to prevent water from going in more at those locations. A similar stone without cracks is about double or more when I checked... At least from one supplier. There was another one, but their website shut down a couple years ago. There's also one other than may possibly have it, but they sell only within japan

Last edited:
Back