Strop and natural stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiru

Reaction score
Just a random thought, does stropping defeats the whole purpose of finishing with natural stones?
Correct me if I’m wrong. The whole idea of natural stone is to create irregular teeth on the edge of the knife, hence the longer lasting edge, theoretically.
Let’s say I finish the knife on the strop with compound, after sharpening on a natural stone, wouldn’t the compound “soothe” the irregular teeth on the edge into regular teeth?

Interessting..

Maybe if you strop for too long and you start to polish. I dont think thats what you should use stropping for.
I think stropping is more to remove to last final remants of burr or debris. Thats why a few passes per side is enough.
Even if you do your last few strokes ('stropping strokes') on the stone very lightly, you will never end perfectly in the middle of your apex. There would always be a little 'burr or debris' on the other side of where you ended.

Correct me if wrong. Testing my own knowledge here aswell

Just a random thought, does stropping defeats the whole purpose of finishing with natural stones?
Correct me if I’m wrong. The whole idea of natural stone is to create irregular teeth on the edge of the knife, hence the longer lasting edge, theoretically.
Let’s say I finish the knife on the strop with compound, after sharpening on a natural stone, wouldn’t the compound “soothe” the irregular teeth on the edge into regular teeth?

Sharpen on a natural stone, strop sparingly to remove burr, lightly strop back on natural (1 - 2x per side) if you feel you want to put more teeth back.

Stropping on plain leather appropriately doesn't wash out the teeth, though if you strop long enough especially on a strop with abrasive you will lose teeth.

Last edited:
Interessting..

Maybe if you strop for too long and you start to polish. I dont think thats what you should use stropping for.
I think stropping is more to remove to last final remants of burr or debris. Thats why a few passes per side is enough.
Even if you do your last few strokes ('stropping strokes') on the stone very lightly, you will never end perfectly in the middle of your apex. There would always be a little 'burr or debris' on the other side of where you ended.

Correct me if wrong. Testing my own knowledge here aswell
The solution is to strop lightly, but not over strop it, how come I didn’t think of that when I was creating this thread......... haha work has done me so good

Back