Strop upgrade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaM0w

Always follow your nose
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased the Bob Kramer black leather strop a few years back and have been using it ever since. Looking for an upgrade since I’m pretty sure mine doesn’t do much anymore, suggestions pls:)

I made my own last year. I don’t like short strops, stropping a 270 or 300 knife on a 8 inch can be done just fine but after you use something a little longer it’s hard to go back.

I bought some roo leather, found some cherry wood I liked and made four strops, three went out to friends. They are 18” long by 3.5” wide. I loaded them with a Diamond spray on one side , .025 micron and a CBN emulsion on the other, 1 micron. I tried a lot of different products for strops on earlier versions of strops and ended up liking those. Many products worked great on before and after tests though. You can use whatever you want or nothing at all.

It’s an easy project. You can make the strop any size you want. You can use any leather you want. You just need the wood base, contact cement and the leather. I used roo leather, super thin, super tough, super effective. I also used a board that was 2.5 inches thick to get my finger clearance up a bit.

Last edited:
Michi, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on your recommended strop. What compound do you use? They recommend their green compound. Thanks

I second nakneker; I make all my own strops. I can get scrap leather from saddle shops or craft stores or leather goods at thrift stores for a few bucks, which makes it very hard to justify the cost of all these commercially available strops.
Have you tried reloading your strop with fresh compound? Or scraping the surface to refresh it?

Latest posts

Back