Quantcast

Stropping vs sharpening rod.. material removal.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
Hi.

I recently got a leather strop ( mounted on a board ). And I’m getting pretty good results using it to maintain the edge like you would normally do with a ceramic rod. I use it with a green paste 0,3 microns/ 60.000 grits. And mostly with hard steel knives.

do people have any idea how much material stropping removes from the edge compared to a fine grit ceramic rod.. I would like to continue using the strop. But don’t wanna wear the knives unnecessary fast.

have a nice day 😊

applepieforbreakfast

Reaction score
We'll, my ceramic Hand American rod is 1200 grit. My usual diamond charged strop is ~5000 grit.

So, I would say it depends on your compound. But usually significantly less material would be removed with a strop.

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
We'll, my ceramic Hand American rod is 1200 grit. My usual diamond charged strop is ~5000 grit.

So, I would say it depends on your compound. But usually significantly less material would be removed with a strop.
thanks for your reply.

the paste I use is 60.000 grit, so I assume it will wear very little. 😊

ref

Reaction score
It will not be removing much material (well, you can check because the compound will turn grey) but the issue with 60,000/0.3micon paste is that you might find that your edge is too refined, especially if it's a kitchen knife and you intend to chop onions and tomatoes etc.

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
It will not be removing much material (well, you can check because the compound will turn grey) but the issue with 60,000/0.3micon paste is that you might find that your edge is too refined, especially if it's a kitchen knife and you intend to chop onions and tomatoes etc.
i did notice the edge was almost to clean/fine to cut trough tomatoskin. Other then that, I haven’t experienced problems. Onions is no problem either

Last edited:

M1k3

Buy stainless! Sell carbon!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did notice the edge was almost to clean/fine to cut trough tomatoskin. Other that I haven’t experienced problems. Onions is no problem either
Try using 1-2 passes per side when you use the strop.

M1k3

Buy stainless! Sell carbon!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will try that. But will it be enough ? 🤔
Depends on how easily you can hit the edge at the right angle and how refined you like. You can always do more passes. Can't undo them without going back a step.

ref

Reaction score
I will try that. But will it be enough ? 🤔
For kitchen knives, yes imo. For any strop with compound/abrasive on (paste, chromium or aluminum oxide), you will want a maximum of 2 or maybe 3 passes each side. I would not do any more. You can be a bit more aggressive on a harder surface like balsa, but if you have paste on leather, you do really risk over-polishing and over-convexing the edge (and this is coming from me; a big fan of stropping). There are some brilliant articles on Science of sharp.*

(also, remember to clean the knife well before use, because you don't wanna eat any diamonds!)

*also, according to SoS, his findings show that most of the useful work re:stropping on compound is done within the first few strops. that may have only been for chromium oxide though, not diamond paste

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
For kitchen knives, yes imo. For any strop with compound/abrasive on (paste, chromium or aluminum oxide), you will want a maximum of 2 or maybe 3 passes each side. I would not do any more. You can be a bit more aggressive on a harder surface like balsa, but if you have paste on leather, you do really risk over-polishing and over-convexing the edge (and this is coming from me; a big fan of stropping). There are some brilliant articles on Science of sharp.*

(also, remember to clean the knife well before use, because you don't wanna eat any diamonds!)

*also, according to SoS, his findings show that most of the useful work re:stropping on compound is done within the first few strops. that may have only been for chromium oxide though, not diamond paste
thanks..i will try to limit it to a few stroke, and see how it works.

will over-convexing be an issue when the strop is mounted on a board, or is it mostly when stropping on a loose belt ? The paste I use is a chromium oxide paste. And only 60.000 grit.