Stupid question time: wiping down a carbon blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Ruso

Reaction score
Instead of RW you can use board butter (mineral oil+beeswax) type of mixture. Works very well to preserve carbon blades.

josemartinlopez

Reaction score
So just to be sure, blue and pink Scotch Brite sponges are OK for knives, and you should keep a separate sponge that has no grease from washing dishes?

esoo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used pink, but I've used blue on everything without issue.

And I don't worry about grease on the sponge - what do you think happens when you're trying to wipe down a blade that you just used to make bacon lardons?

chiffonodd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends what I'm cutting. If it's something real acidic, I'll be more OCD about it. But honestly, once a stable patina has set in, I've had very few issues if any.

Have found the two towel method easy and effective if acidity is a concern:

jacko9

Reaction score
Might want to rethink that step. RW contains a significant amount of benzene which is highly carcinogenic. RW is not food safe
I appreciate the MSDS information but, after applying a skim coating and allowing it to dry and buffing off I highly doubt that any of the benzene which has a high vapor point would be left over. If I was using it in a commercial kitchen I would probably avoid it but since RW has been on my furniture and knives for many years I'm not concerned about it for home use.

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
"Renaissance wax" is pretty similar to the "Johnson's paste wax" I use on guns but NOT kitchen knives. About 20% wax and 80% stoddard solvent/white spirit/cheap petroleum sourced paint thinner. Only a "technical" level of chemical purity, hence the presence of .1 -1% of several non food contact safe chemicals such as benzene, ethylbenzene, napthalene, isopropyl benzene.

Benzene and the related compounds as noted have pretty high vapor pressures. Napthalene, not nearly as high VP (or as toxic) but the smell would put me off.

I would still avoid technical purity petrochemicals intended for the floor and furniture contacting my food handling surfaces... Bees wax and food grade mineral oils smell/taste better too.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I use Martell's board butter on my guns. Nice knowing that if i had to I could eat a forearm.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
I appreciate the MSDS information but, after applying a skim coating and allowing it to dry and buffing off I highly doubt that any of the benzene which has a high vapor point would be left over. If I was using it in a commercial kitchen I would probably avoid it but since RW has been on my furniture and knives for many years I'm not concerned about it for home use.
Yes, benzene has a high vapor point but its embedded in a non volatile matrix of wax. Thats going to slow down and impede its transition to gas phase. Some are concerned about PTFE's in their rice cookers, but I'd be a lot more concerned about benzene and its petro chemical brethren.

inferno

Reaction score
i have coated blades with olive oil and tung oil. the tung oil is a bit more permanent solution. no rust after oil.