Stupidity, powerbuffer and the DT ITK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, so this is what happens when you are distracted with power tools. I was buffing the handle,(with out a blade guard of course) when I went too high on the wheel and the wheel caught the heel and flipped my knife onto a well placed chisel. DOH! :knifed:

IMG_0963.jpg

I am hoping Dave can fix it because it is well beyond my ability.

You are lucky the buffer didn't throw it at you. The problem is fixable but you will have a less tall knife afterward. Give Devin a buzz, he might do it for you.

M

Ouch!! I had a few chips that big once in a Shun Kramer Santoku from trying to hammer it through a rack of lamb. I got them out with a DMT XXC but, of course, I had to remove a lot of metal. Dave will too but I'll bet he can fix it.

Glad to hear you're okay! That could have been a dangerous situation.
The chip doesn't look that bad, completely fixable.

Glad you're all right, my friend. The image of what might've happened is chilling.

Glad to hear the chip can be repaired.

:knifed: indeed!

Looks fixable to me, you just might end up with a petty. That's deep enough that the whole face will need adjusting, you'll be pretty much re-grinding the knife. Which means lots of very strong power tools. Which means send it to someone else, lol. just teasing.

Grind a little more out and you can have a really neatO bottle opener :thumbsup2:

I think Butch always says that the buffer is the most dangerous tool in his shop... Glad you got away unharmed.

Stefan

Devin's gonna look and this and think, "Now why didn't my knife cut that chisel in half?" LOL :D

Well I'm glad that you've got all your parts still in tact, you could've been spending the day in the emergency room leaking all over the place.

With a repair the knife is going to obviously get shorter but it'll also be getting thicker at the edge too. Might require a thinning job to bring it back into correct form from a thickness standpoint anyway.

Devin's gonna look and this and think, "Now why didn't my knife cut that chisel in half?" LOL :D

Well I'm glad that you've got all your parts still in tact, you could've been spending the day in the emergency room leaking all over the place.

With a repair the knife is going to obviously get shorter but it'll also be getting thicker at the edge too. Might require a thinning job to bring it back into correct form from a thickness standpoint anyway.

That is kind of what I thought, that is also the reason it's coming to you. :D.

Looks like you are about 39 teeth away from a sweet Devin ITK bread knife!

If it's any consolation, judging by the shape of the chip and Murray Carters heat treat test video Devin's heat treat is on spot!:thumbsup:
Hell of away to find out though.

Glen

Did you find the piece that chipped out? You could make a tiny DT mezzaluna -- one of a kind.

Cheers,

Jack

I think Butch always says that the buffer is the most dangerous tool in his shop... Glad you got away unharmed.

Stefan

Double that. The buffer is a very unpredictable tool. That is why I usually finish my wa handles as far as possible before attaching a sharp blade. When using a buffer I always wrap the blade tightly in several sheets of newspaper and tape it up properly to reduce risk and damage to the blade if the buffing wheel should nick the knife from my hands and launch it in high speed somwhere in my shop. It takes just a few minutes to wrap up your blade, but a finger takes weeks or even months to grow back out.

DarKHoek

Back in my previous life in the Jewelry shop an expensive Omega style necklace could be reduced to scrap in way less than a second. It not only would get everyones attention, but it would make the store owner a touch touchy!
That sort of thing teaches you to pay attention, boy-howdy!

Then there was the woman that caught one of those gang banger chains in a buff that cut her up real good, the shop owner would not let her leave to get stitched up until she finished her batch!

Then there was the woman that caught one of those gang banger chains in a buff that cut her up real good, the shop owner would not let her leave to get stitched up until she finished her batch!

Damn!

Back