sub-$200 ss-clad carbon 240 choices

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
stainless clad, carbon core

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Veg prep, some boneless proteins

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
none really

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
A pretty high pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Mostly push cutting and push-pull cutting

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Something with a decent flat spot, at least 50mm of blade height, stainless clad

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I could care less

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Octagonal handles preferred but not a dealbreaker if I have to rehandle it, some space between the ferrule and where the blade starts.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I'm looking for carbons because I don't like sharpening stainlesses, but I know some semistainless steels are pretty good about sharpening.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Anything not too soft would be alright

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes (wood)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

I'm looking at a couple of different knives right now, but I'm really waiting for some more options to come in stock within the next couple of months. I really want to keep things under the $170 range, but the options I've found there are mostly iron clad, like the Shinko Seilan from KnS. I'm also looking at the Harukaze AS Morado from CKTG, although it has an oval handle and a little too much belly. Another one is the Makoto White #2, which is pretty much perfect except for being a reach in price, or the Katsushige Anryu Blue #2. Is the Makoto or the Anryu worth the extra cash? Any experiences with any of these, or other knives that fit what I'm looking for, would be greatly appreciated.

The Makoto is a much better knife than the Morado. The Morado is short in height, zero taper, odd belly. Comes with a nice sharp edge, though.

The Makoto has a great profile, thin edge and tip, superior grind with taper, better finish- highly polished spine and choil. The clear winner.

Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,Wakui,
To this, I'll add: Wakui.

In the stainless-clad sub-$200 ballpark, Wakui is a standard recommendation and rightfully so. Nice knife and a solid value. Tanaka is another solid recommendation. For me, the difference boils down to profile--Wakui has more flat spot while Tanaka has more of a radius grind. You said you use push/pull cutting, and so the Wakui would be a better fit for this style of cutting IMHO. Another knife with a nice flat spot that'd do you well, as @daveb said, is the Yoshikane on BST.

Kohetsu Blue2 or Super Blue at CKTG.. But if you can get Anryu, then go for it.. i'll go with Anryu in no doubt...

$200 for 240 is tough.

I have the Makoto Ryusei AS for you. It’s got a great grind on it- thin behind the edge and almost laser. AS isn’t as much fun to sharpen as a white or blue but really depends on your technique and stones. Less than a yr ago they sold on CKTG ~$210.

Yes, If you can find the Anryu b2, do it. Really nice middle weight. They’re great knives that punch above their price. Seem to be in either low supply or sell out quickly.

KKF has some vocal yoshikane fans and with good reason. they’re great cutters, big flat spot and pretty. They’re just in a category level up from the knives being discussed. Unfortunately epicedge recently price adjusted theirs.

not sure about the flat spot on the tanaka Gyutos. Maybe someone will chime in on that. I have Santoku that’s mainly a rocker which I realized too late.

Back