Substitute for hares blood for sauce

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by Godslayer, Dec 25, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 25, 2018 #1

Godslayer

Godslayer

Godslayer

So final table has me wanting to make lievre a la Royale. Sadly rabbit blood is unobtainable for me, I have two rabbits frozen, anyone know of an interesting substitute, right now I'm thinking reduced game stock(rabbit, deer and bison) reduced to demi levels, red wine, reduced and mount with chocolate and foie. But am open to better ideas.

2. Dec 25, 2018 #2

Brandon Wicks

Brandon Wicks

Brandon Wicks

AKA blwchef/crustychef Supporting Member

do you have access to any sort of blood? Pig or veal? I think a small amount of pig blood plus a reduced game stock would get you closer in the ball park. If no blood then maybe add some rabbit kidneys and livers to the game stock to get more of that minerality that blood adds.

3. Dec 25, 2018 #3

refcast

refcast

refcast

If there are any chinese markets around, they often have cooked pigs blood, and those that do sometimes have liquid uncooked pigs blood. But the pigs blood is . . . well porky, and there may be a clash there. . . but in taste, it's not meat like . . . it's just the and taste scent is faintly of the pig skin of chicharron, but I would definitely say it's mild. I guess it might be gamy, which might be good.

I think that chocolate (pure, no sugar or milk) would best approximate the thickening of blood. Blood thickens because it's protein and curdles like egg white, except super duper fine. I know chocolate is actually mostly fat but the solids approximate that mouthfeel of curdled blood solids, except that the fat of the chocolate will feel heavier or fuller in the stomach. Eating blood is as filling as eating squid -- both are super lean proteins.

If I really wanted to be creative, I might use a spare rabbit, cook the meat, and blend it superfine with its own liquid, then pass it through an appropriate sieve to approximate curdled blood. Anyway, the chocolate is there for the color, which I can't find a alternative for otherwise. And yeah, having a fat-rich sauce is good to get satisfied from rabbit, which is always lean.

Maybe finely blended red beans, too . . . because beans have protein. But then we have fiber-thickening. . .

4. Dec 25, 2018 #4

refcast

refcast

refcast

The kidneys and livers are interesting too.

Kidneys smell a bit more gamey from the urea (they smell like stale piss in the worse case) , but they can be parboiled first to help remove some.

Livers are sweet of course and I think that the in terms of texture, they are the closest thing we have to blood so far. Just blend and sieve. The connective tissue must be removed. . . but they are still quite a bit stronger in taste than blood. Blood has the most mild taste of anything i've tried in a pig actually . . . except maybe tendons, which are mostly tasteless anyway, being meat jello.

5. Dec 25, 2018 #5

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

Chicken liver.

6. Dec 25, 2018 #6

Godslayer

Godslayer

Godslayer

Lots of good ideas so far, I like the idea of pork blood and reduced stock, perhaps with some livers blended and passed through a fine sieve.

7. Dec 25, 2018 #7
    Pet store and buy a cute bunny
    a29db05a6a7cb5d96dbc0ae0e032769d.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  8. Dec 25, 2018 #8

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

You can probably adopt an older, larger bunny for free...

9. Dec 25, 2018 #9

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

10. Dec 26, 2018 #10

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

IMG_1833.jpg

We have lots of rabbits here, cats love ‘em

11. Dec 26, 2018 #11

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

+1 pork blood, my cousins make czernina but can’t obtain duck blood. They manage to obtain pig blood somewhere, either through a butcher shop or an ethnic market or something.