Suehiro Cerax and Ouka Perma soak?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidSnake03

Reaction score
Hey all!

Quick question for those more knowledgeable about soakers than me. Can you perma soak the Cerax line like the 320, 700, 1k and 8k? Or is perma soaking a no no with them? I’ve short term soaked the 1k I had years ago but never perma soaked it so wanted to check on that. Same with the Ouka, can you perma soak that Ouka 3k?

I've had a Cerax 700 I recently bought in water for the past week or two. Wasn't falling apart yesterday when I changed the water in the bin, although I haven't actually gotten around to using it yet.

And yeah - maybe after a while all your other whetstones might end up feeling a bit jealous / ignored. But that’s the only downside really.

And yeah - maybe after a while all your other whetstones might end up feeling a bit jealous / ignored. But that’s the only downside really.
I’m fine with that lol!

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the replies, sounds like perma soaking is totally okay. Perfect! :)

What is the minimum soak time if one were not to perma soak them?

Space is limited and its just much less maintenance to have them dry and dunk it in a tub a day prior to use or is that defeating the purpose?

Previously when I had used the Cerax I had soaked for like 20-30min before use and that seemed plenty sufficient. I like playing around with perma soak since it makes some stoned even nicer by softening them a little and increasing that cream feeling.

Generally speaking if your stone can handle being permasoaked it’s usually better in terms of feeling at least. Pretty much everything seems to get better with perma soaking if it can handle it/the soak isn’t a type or style that would fall apart. Kings for example get noticeable better with perma soak.

Again these are super general statements but they seem to hold up for all the soakers I’ve tried/owned and some of the splash and go’s too like the JKI 6k speckled, Morihei stones and more

You’ve perma-soaked Morihei’s? I’ve been wondering about doing this with my 4k and 9k.
Yup went fine. I believe @ethompson has too? Conceptually from what I know about their makeup it should be fine which basically is just that they aren’t Magnesia bonding. Magnesia bonding like Chosera shouldn’t be perma soaked, I think Jon at JKI has a couple stones with this makeup and he says not to do that either.

Conceptually from what I know about their makeup it should be fine which basically is just that they aren’t Magnesia bonding. Magnesia bonding like Chosera shouldn’t be perma soaked, I think Jon at JKI has a couple stones with this makeup and he says not to do that either.

I have had mine soaked for months no issues. From everything I could find they’re very similar in construction to gesshin resinoid stones which I enjoy and John recommends soaking.
Thanks! This is helpful

Okay so totally different stone but anyone know if the Green Brick of Joy can be perma soaked? I believe so but never tried it.

Generally speaking if your stone can handle being permasoaked it’s usually better in terms of feeling at least. Pretty much everything seems to get better with perma soaking if it can handle it/the soak isn’t a type or style that would fall apart. Kings for example get noticeable better with perma soak.

Again these are super general statements but they seem to hold up for all the soakers I’ve tried/owned and some of the splash and go’s too like the JKI 6k speckled, Morihei stones and more
Add king 300 to that list. Splash and go, but much more enjoyable to use when permsoaked

Back