• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Suehiro Rika 5k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
For your consideration,

a suehiro rika. I’ve had it for a year and I’ve used it quite a lot. Plenty of stone left though. Ships in the original box (but without nagura which is long gone).
Specs:
210x70x20
Edit: 590g.

Price is 50$ excluding shipping. EU only please!

6FF0A94F-91A8-4CF0-AA4F-F6BF09E741CE.jpeg

C3397029-F7B0-4C97-83FF-4D005A14EE38.jpeg

8AB43B04-06C4-4C8C-81D2-D6F26C55751C.jpeg

Last edited:
Love my Rika. Not in the EU or I might consider grabbing it as a backup in case mine ever has an accident. GLWS.

I was surprised to see these spots. The stone was evenly grey when I got it, and it continued to be that way until I decided to flatten it before selling it. I’m not trying to fool anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the speckling happens when the stone is just slightly damp.

My permasoaked stone never looks like this, but I recently bought a second one which, after I'd cleaned and lapped it, looked similarly speckled when I set it aside. However, after it's had a good dry, I now see the spots have vanished.

New photos, same stone now pictured with the box. No spots discernible. It’s also a bit lighter than when I last placed it on the scales. 590g (I’ll Edit OP). Hypothesis: the stone wasn’t completely dry when I took the photos.
70ED3AA9-2E04-43CA-9EAC-99C45115529D.jpeg

B48267AF-DCFC-4D68-BCAB-2EED9B63C160.jpeg

I think the speckling happens when the stone is just slightly damp.

My permasoaked stone never looks like this, but I recently bought a second one which, after I'd cleaned and lapped it, looked similarly speckled when I set it aside. But now, after it's had a good dry, I see the spots have vanished.
Thanks for this comment! I came to the same conclusion!

Rika 5K is my current finishing stone, love it!
Sold my king 6000, too smooth no bite.
Still have King 4K, love that finishing too but a bit too soft, & a bit slow, & the stone is narrow.

Rika is perfect, seems similar to king 4K grit maybe a bit lower grit actually. Lots of bite, fast & spacious in size. I am not sure there’s a better alternative at this price range.

GLWS

interesting stone, quick newbie question; I have a Hideryama koppa that does well for me, is this a stone that could replace my shapton 12K and be done with synth? (love the feel of the Koppa and the edge is good to go, yet it is said to be a pre finishing stone)

I removed mine from the base so no biggie of itself - but yeah you pay extra for no good reason.

I also dropped mine two days after base removal. Managed to slow the fall with my thigh but it did a good 30 inches of free fall after that, already with some speed gathered. Result is one badly chipped/smashed corner, and another one where the corner broke off entirely. Still, damage is minimal - I have like 15mm of stone left before I even get through to the broken corner, and still very usable starting from there.

Just saying at this price it's a steal - this is a tremendous stone that's hard to wear down, dries relatively fast, works amazingly well, and is more rugged than one would think.

I was surprised to see these spots. The stone was evenly grey when I got it, and it continued to be that way until I decided to flatten it before selling it. I’m not trying to fool anyone.

many stones look spotty like that sometimes. shapton glass for instance will look like this if you only clean the surface with sponges and similar. and it goes away after diamonds. go figure.

Back