Suggestion - TF eu passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick the option that you prefer

• Total voters
Not when I'm uncertain if you're speaking the truth. :D

Got the knife in friday, busy with work so used it for the first time yesterday! It's a lovely knife with a great cutting feel for sure. It arrived in a bit rough shape with some spots of rust and a slightly rounded tip but nothing out of the ordinary. I saw it as a great excuse to polish it up a bit and put an edge on it. Only polished with the kitayama 6k and a uchi fingerstone. More cutting feedback later 👌 🤠
IMG_1529.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

It's official, I have really fallen in love with the knife :upsidedownspin: After having it used at work for a few days it really became my go to for everything from prep to service.Normally I am more of a many knives kind of guy (as many as i can during prep and at least a gyuto and petty or sometimes a slicer during service) but this week I used it for everything except the slicing of scallops.

It is a great size for the smaller kitchen I work in, the profile is nice and easy to work with and the geometry is a joy to use. The geometry is right in between the for me too skinny lasers and my favorite but sometimes too heavy workhorse.

Edge retention has been very good for a shirogami knife and didn't have the need to touch it up yet after use on poly boards.The stainless clad is a plus (especially because it still polishes nice), the core patinas steadily with no nasty residue on onions for example.

All with all a joy to use and am not really looking forward to having it leave 🥺

Thanks Carl for organising this Passaround! 🤠

Bonus pic (blown fuses make for great mood lighting):
IMG_1564.JPG

Last edited:
So after having the knife around for a while now I figure it’s time to say a few things about it.

Upon arrival it needed a little polish and a sharpening. I decided to tackle it fully natural, polished it with a Dalmore Blue and treated the edge with a Dalmore Yellow followed by a Coticule. Getting it sharp on the DY took me a while but that was due to the stone, not the knife I believe. The edge the Coticule left after refining was very keen and aggressive making the knife very enjoyable to cut with.
The polish off the DB was surprisingly contrasty but not without some streaks as I usually experience with stainless clad knives.
C4193175-B1F7-4710-B6FA-1D9F766A2D3B.jpeg
F7346E60-903E-460A-AE77-0E7169D104ED.jpeg
67E64798-9B77-4AFD-ADF2-6B925E906491.jpeg

In use the knife is quite fun as it cut everything I threw at it with ease. The size is nice and I do like how nimble it is. The finger notch is not the most useful feature but it also isn’t getting in the way of anything. After all it’s a great little knife but the profile is not my favourite, I just like a little more curve towards the tip.

Thanks @Carl Kotte for organizing this PA and giving me the chance to try a TF without having to take the plunge and buy one.

Back