Sugimoto, Not Cleavers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex M.S.

Reaction score
Tsukiji Sugimoto is obviously known for their cleavers but can anyone speak for their Wetern style or Japanese lines?

I have a line cook who loves his Sugimoto petty and Western deba. They look like sturdy knives that’ll do well in a high volume kitchen. The edges look very asymmetrical and aren’t ground particularly thin. F&F looked good even on these well used knives. All in all seems like no frills solid knives.

I am curious though as to the steels they are utilizing. I see a “Japan Carbon” line as well as a Chrome-Moly line. Anyone know what these steels actually are and how they perform?

I’ve been interested in a petty or small gyuto myself, but don’t know enough about them. I have a Carbonext petty with the asymmetrical edge and would be interested to know how the Sugimoto compares.

I did email Sugimoto and their response was prompt and polite. They do not divulge their metal’s composition.

Back