Suisin high Carbon Gyuto.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
Hi all.

Today my beautiful wife suprised me a new knive. She know I like carbon. So she got me a Suisin High Carbon.

Haven't tried it yet. And I think it needs a good sharpening. But other then that. It seems pretty nice. 😊

Any of all the knowing people in the great forum knows the knife. Is it any good ? And what steel is it ?

Have nice day

I don't have any experience with this knife but I hope you could find all the information from that page.

Yeah! I use that line as part of our lineup in a commercial kitchen space. I also believe they're SK. They will rust, but not nearly as quickly as steels like W1 or W2. Overall they sharpen pretty quickly, hold the edge decently, and are fairly robust knives. As far as a general use goes I think they're pretty decent bang for the buck.

Thanks you all for your reply.

It got it polished with some autosol. And I had a professional sharpener convert it from 70/30 to 50/50. Used it last night. And I'm really happy with it. Really nice beater for everyday use 💪

Hi all.

Today my beautiful wife suprised me a new knive. She know I like carbon. So she got me a Suisin High Carbon.

Haven't tried it yet. And I think it needs a good sharpening. But other then that. It seems pretty nice. 😊

Any of all the knowing people in the great forum knows the knife. Is it any good ? And what steel is it ?

Have nice day
where is the picture?

where is the picture?

Here it is 😊
FB_IMG_1634907179625.jpg

No..i wouldn't try it. It's not delicate in any way. The steel is on the softer side. But I wouldn't cut bone with it.
Wow, what’s weird to me is they sell honesuki that uses same hrc and it says it meant for bone cutting. So I assumed you could with a gyuto

Wow, what’s weird to me is they sell honesuki that uses same hrc and it says it meant for bone cutting. So I assumed you could with a gyuto
So being able to go through bones isn’t just about hardness. It’s also about thickness, the geometry of the knife, and grind. Bear in mind that chicken bones are also very different from ambiguous “bones” in general.

For instance, I would not try and go through a cow bone with a honesuki. 😜

Oh! I am just want to cut through chicken joints to separate it. 🤣 I am totally not looking to several a bone like a butcher 🤣

Also, it’s clear that you’re looking for some kind of knife that can go through some kind of bone (whether that means segmenting at the joint or just hacking through wherever Conan style).

Have you considered just posting the “Which knife should I buy” questionaire?

That way we can figure out what kind of corpses you’re trying to dismantle and steer you toward a cleaver, honesuki, kitchen axe, chainsaw, or whatever might work best for what you’re doing.

A honesuki is much thicker than an average gyuto, so it has much more steel to reinforce the cutting edge against bones.

Hi Knife,

Ive seen your query a couple places now. Some thots on "cutting bones" that may be of interest.

It would be quite unusual to use a knife to cut through bone. Cartilage, yes. Knuckle, yes. Remove flesh from bone, yes.

To break down a chicken quickly, one would put bird breast up, score then cut alongside the breast bone (cartilage) to open the bird up. From the inside, cut along the backbone (cartilage) on both sides and remove it for two halves. Can further remove thigh/drumstick and wings by popping the joints that attach them. Can also remove the rib bones from the breasts by deboning.

The cuts described can be done with a honesuki, western boning knife, petty, or even gyuto. Technique will be quickly learned and required to keep the blade from twisting. At no time is a bone being cut.

On larger animals, more deboning will be required to remove flesh from bones - or leave some bones in and pop knuckles on either end.

When I'm processing a deer or hog, I will occasionally use a hacksaw with boning blade to cut through the pelvis, neck or legs.

Hope this helps with what appears to be some venacular confusion.

Hi Knife,

Ive seen your query a couple places now. Some thots on "cutting bones" that may be of interest.

It would be quite unusual to use a knife to cut through bone. Cartilage, yes. Knuckle, yes. Remove flesh from bone, yes.

To break down a chicken quickly, one would put bird breast up, score then cut alongside the breast bone (cartilage) to open the bird up. From the inside, cut along the backbone (cartilage) on both sides and remove it for two halves. Can further remove thigh/drumstick and wings by popping the joints that attach them. Can also remove the rib bones from the breasts by deboning.

The cuts described can be done with a honesuki, western boning knife, petty, or even gyuto. Technique will be quickly learned and required to keep the blade from twisting. At no time is a bone being cut.

On larger animals, more deboning will be required to remove flesh from bones - or leave some bones in and pop knuckles on either end.

When I'm processing a deer or hog, I will occasionally use a hacksaw with boning blade to cut through the pelvis, neck or legs.

Hope this helps with what appears to be some venacular confusion.
Thanks for the reply! I am not looking to cutting through heavy duty bones like that anytime soon! 🤣. I just wanted a knife so I can separate the chicken wing into threes pieces to make winglets 😀

Thanks for the reply! I am not looking to cutting through heavy duty bones like that anytime soon! 🤣. I just wanted a knife so I can separate the chicken wing into threes pieces to make winglets 😀

More technique dependent than knife. Each peice of the wing can be cut at the joint - no bones.

Get a $10 bag of wings and go slow, you'll have it down before you're halfway thru.

Use any knife discussed above, keeping in mind that honesuki is a pretty specialized knife while a petty or shorter gyuto will be more versatile.

More technique dependent than knife. Each peice of the wing can be cut at the joint - no bones.

Get a $10 bag of wings and go slow, you'll have it down before you're halfway thru.

Use any knife discussed above, keeping in mind that honesuki is a pretty specialized knife while a petty or shorter gyuto will be more versatile.
What about cutting ginger, is a Japanese hard knife to fragile to cut it?

Don't worry about it. I use Japanese Knives all the time to cut paper-thin slices of ginger. It's very satisfying to do this with a sharp knife. You might want to be careful if there are thick woody parts of the ginger that could be hard. You can cut them, too, but need to take a bit care of the angle. Cut around really hard pieces, not through them, and don't twist the blade. Similar to the hard bottom part of garlic.

But normal ginger root is super easy!

Don't worry about it. I use Japanese Knives all the time to cut paper-thin slices of ginger. It's very satisfying to do this with a sharp knife. You might want to be careful if there are thick woody parts of the ginger that could be hard. You can cut them, too, but need to take a bit care of the angle. Cut around really hard pieces, not through them, and don't twist the blade. Similar to the hard bottom part of garlic.

But normal ginger root is super easy!
Nah, I brought it to cut ribs and cut through pieces such as the breast meat. It is better safe than sorry when cutting with bone protein.

Back