• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Suita stones and koppas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shipping included in the US. Feel free to PM me with any in-depth questions you may have.

Suita Iromono- 200x75x40-$750

An addendum: this one came with a very, very faint Hatanaka stamp and half of a label that is often found on Hatanaka stones. There are photos of both in the files, but they honestly aren't great and sadly I can't go back and take better ones now. No way to be certain it's genuine, as is almost always the case, but whether its actually a hatanaka or not really doesn't matter too much beyond explaining the price I paid.
Now about the stone itself, which is quite the performer. The surface has iromono and namazu and renge. The renge and namazu parts (top left and center/bottom left) are the layer that's emerging from below the iromono part. With use and/or lapping it will probably all go that direction. If you look at the sides you can see quite a few layers going on inside the stone, so with time it will probably turn up some interesting changes.
As for characteristics in use, I love the edges off this thing, which will range from fine but toothy with just a bit of sharpening or stropping to straight razor-sharp if you spend longer on the edge. It polishes very well too (I prefer starting with a good mud worked up). It's in the semi-mirror category with medium-grey cladding (think the color of clouds before an oncoming winter snow).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-bd_z4D4YFp-SxlGKrp0VYkybfLRLyWA

Ohira Suita- 220x80x55- 2500grams- $750
Enough ohira suita to last a lifetime. The almost kan-like swirl pattern is quite stunning, especially when wet, and the multiple purplish hues really stand out. The two small lines toward the top can't be felt during use. Hardness is pretty much ideal to my mind, it generates a good mud in short order, while still being hard enough to allow precision during sharpening. No need to pre-slurry unless you want to. Not much else to say really, classic ohira suita.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1umJmQGd9HskHsVyqJ4pQgMYdGOsmHNXQ

Uchi Koppas- $175 (Combined weight-1600g)
I bought these ages ago as uchi koppas to break into finger stones but never touched them. Then one day I decided to lap them so I could test hardness/finish and lo and behold, I find a bunch of karasu. I'm not sure whether these actually are uchimugori or instead just softish suita with karasu (I'm leaning toward the latter). Either way they polish very well and are fairly soft. One of the stones is slightly harder and finer than the other and leaves a brighter finish. Big enough to sharpen on (I tested them on a 330mm yanagiba). Ideally, they'd probably be best attached to a base, especially the narrower one. For me, these would be good if you wanted a nice medium soft jnat (or two, in this case) without the price tag of a bench stone.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-ooHPVGnJqm4Q9gYMDh5ONePOE-93HPr

Unknown bench stone w/kawa- *Free with either the Ohira Suita or Suita Iromono*

I'm pretty sure this is from one of more famous mines because the kawa looks extremely similar to those of an old nakayama kiita and a narutaki kiita I used to own, both of which I foolishly sold. I was hoping the little specks wouldn't be a problem, but I was half-wrong. They do scratch a bit for polishing unfortunately, not gouges but semi-fine scratches and occasionally an audible crunchy. However, because the particles aren't very coarse or big, it works alright for sharpening and I've gotten some good edges off it. I've lapped it some to see if the specks were just a layer I could work through, but I suspect it's more likely the little particles are in most of the stone. This is not quite in the "toss into the garden" category for me, as it could do definitely do a job for someone who didn't care about polishing, but I wouldn't feel right selling it for what I paid, or at all really. Stone is medium hardness, develops a good mud, and feels about 6k or so.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-ksmrCNT-pJDV3WqsG6PVsLXoer7U2Qp

Latest posts

Back