Suji and Gyuto recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some recommendations for my prep cook.
Ideally I'd like to get him a 240 gyuto and 270-300 suji, semi or fully stainless (his choice), mid weight, thin behind the edge, easily available in the US, easy to sharpen but great retention.
Back slicing and push cutting is the technique for the gyuto, dicing veg and herbs for the most part.
The suji would be for trimming and portioning boneless fish and meat.
He's currently using very used hand me down plastic handled sani safe knives.
Wa or Yo/ Western handle is open.
I'm matching his spending so something in the $250 or less range seems appropriate, especially since he's just learning to sharpen.
Thanks

Any reviews of the Kareu suij? Tools steel tends to make pretty decent butchery knives.

I like the Kanehide TK for a cheap 240 gyuto. Mine is 3 years old and is used as a pass around about 12 hours a day in a very busy kitchen. Takes a beating. Quick to sharpen. Minimally reactive. Available with wa, Western, or Fibrox handle. CKTG used to be the only place with them but they are popping up at other places. I think all the Hitohira affiliates are carrying them.

sujihikis are generally pretty expensive in my experience, and settling for a lesser quality one imo doesnt make much sense, at least at my job you arent allowed to use ****** dull knives esp for meat bc the cuts have to look perfect. my sous lends out his really nice suji to ppl before letting them use unkempt knives. so you could spend some more money on a suji and find a cheaper option for gyuto, or maybe go for a shorter, flatter gyuto that can do both (munetoshi). or find a 270gyuto which could take on just about anything, if he can handle it. kaeru, tanaka and ginga suji would be good options.

cant a clad of vg10 as tojiro dp are still cheap do the trick?

Latest posts

Back