Sujihiki or Yanigaba Recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robenco15

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Sujihiki (would consider a Yanagiba if it works for what I need)

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese handles

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, prefer carbon if possible.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Slicing proteins, cooked and not cooked. I'd assume most of the time they will be cooked.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

N/A

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Pull Slice for this knife's application

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Boardsmith Maple Board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I don't know a ton about Yanagibas, but if they would also work, then I'm open to looking at some. I have no idea how to sharpen a Yanagiba.

I currently own:
Shun Classic Paring Knife
150mm T-F Nashiji Petty
210mm Kagekiyo White #2
240mm Konosuke HD2

This is the only Sujihiki that has really caught my eye - https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...cts/gesshin-uraku-270mm-stainless-wa-sujihiki

Like I said, up for looking at Yanigabas if they accomplish the same tasks as the Sujihikis and I am able to sharpen them as easily. Like do look aesthetically better.

i don't have a specific recommendation in that price range, but i think for cooked proteins you will be better served by a suji. the extra blade height gives you more power to get through the crust, and the double bevel will stand up better to crust or peppercorns as well.

Thanks so much. Since I made that post I bssically came to that same conclusion.

Should I expand my price range some? I don’t mind. $325/$350 is probably the limit for me.

I was looking for a 270 suji/yanagiba, for $200 you have the choice of Kaeru 270 suji or Mazaki Kurouchi 270 Yanagiba both around $200, I havent used either one though, and very few have it seems. If you are cooked proteins with possible crust and whatnot, Id go for the SLD Kaeru, its pretty tough and mostly stainless

Any reason to not consider the Gesshin Ginga White #2? I have two hesitancies. For one, I have a 240mm Konosuke HD2, so another laser. Secondly, I’ll be slicing raw and cooked protein. Sometimes with a crust. Brisket once or twice a year. Is that a deal breaker? Thanks!

Any reason to not consider the Gesshin Ginga White #2? I have two hesitancies. For one, I have a 240mm Konosuke HD2, so another laser. Secondly, I’ll be slicing raw and cooked protein. Sometimes with a crust. Brisket once or twice a year. Is that a deal breaker? Thanks!

I have a "laser" suji that works well but for a do everything suji I would prefer one with a little more ass to it. Liking a Heijii carbon a lot - considerably cheaper than the clad variant.

I have a "laser" suji that works well but for a do everything suji I would prefer one with a little more ass to it. Liking a Heijii carbon a lot - considerably cheaper than the clad variant.

I don't see a 270mm Heiji carbon anywhere available and in my price range. I really think I want stainless or clad though. After slicing the roast or whatever on my board, I'm going to go serve and eat with my guests. No going to worry about my knife sitting on the board during dinner. In this case, lower maintenance without sacrificing too much may be a priority.

I think I'm going to have to change it now to a 300mm. 270mm may just be too small every once in awhile. Does one exist in my no more than $350 budget?

You'll certainly pay a premium for the additional length. Can offer that I've had 4 good suji and still have 3 - all 270. The length has never been too short. I do use a 240 frequently.

Have you asked Jon about a Uraku?

Ok 300mm Sujihiki. Can’t be too tall. Like 40mm tops. Not sure I can be too picky about the metal at this point. Hoping to stay around $300.

The Uraku is nice steel but if I had to pick I would go with a Heji. Zakuri is a good option in aogami . If it's protein then the knife should form a patina instead of rusting.

I know that Zakuri AS doesn't have pretty damascus or hammer finishes, but for a under $200 option you can't go wrong. The kurouchi finish is smooth instead of rough, great steel, nice weight, it will want to cut and you could save the remaining $150 for your favorite Miami vices. Or buy a new stone.

I use a Zakuri 210 as a short suji for slicing protein....good knife.
I used the money I saved to take wifey to Olive Garden for a blowout...win win!

The Uraku is nice steel but if I had to pick I would go with a Heji. Zakuri is a good option in aogami . If it's protein then the knife should form a patina instead of rusting.

Is there a Heji in my price range? Link?

Get the 240mm Kaeru since you want stain resistant...they are seriously good value and all the tough slicer you will need.
You will thank me when you have had to many glasses of wine and realize you left your carving knife on the bloodied cutting board...

Last edited:
I’m really torn between 270mm and 300mm. 300mm will never be too small. It sorta seems like a lot though, but I like that it will always do its job. The 270mm may be the better size in terms of gradations of what I own, but the first time it is too small is the time when I regret the whole thing.

Is there a Heji in my price range? Link?
Nope AND I recommend the more expensive semi-stainless steel at that if you wish to do a slice and walk away.

Get a Zakari.

For an even cheaper option, there is nothing wrong with a Tojiro Pro. There are other better knives for $100 and very few would recommend one but if you want something widely available their VG10 isn't the worst knife and they have the nice damascus look you are looking for.

Get the 240mm Kaeru since you want stain resistant...they are seriously good value and all the tough slicer you will need.
You will thank me when you have had to many glasses of wine and realize you left your carving knife on the bloodied cutting board...

I agree with this.

So you have two options that I approve of.

1. Kaeru 270 Sujihiki for JNS in Stainless

2. Zakari 270 Sujihiki from some random place in Aogami Super (Get it together Jon! Stock is low!)

Or continue the search. The choice is yours.

Ok so no 300mm options. I will add those two to the list and continue searching. Still have a few weeks to figure this out. Thanks so much guys! I like the Kaeru a lot and need to find more pics of the Zakuri. Not sure how I feel about that dark look. Tough to tell from stock photos.

Toyama suji is universally considered one of the best sujis you can buy. So if you can extend your budget it is a good option. Mazaki gyutos are very good, not sure about the suji, but heat treat should be good.

Thoughts on this? It is White steel, but if I am mostly cutting cooked proteins, a patina will form.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/mazaki-kasumi-sujihiki-270mm/

This is a little but more, but apparently has a great reputation?

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/toyama-noborikoi-kasumi-sujihiki-270mm/
I've owned the mazaki and the Toyama sujis. The Toyama lives up to its reputation, but as you've noticed, it's expensive.

The mazaki is different than the Toyama. It has much more spine taper, and becomes quite thin by the tip. It also has a pointy tip, compared to toyama's K-tip. This means that the balance point is closer to the handle and the knife feels more nimble. Still, I don't remember it to be overly flexible, even at the tip.

Over all, I liked the Toyama better and sold the mazaki. Both are very, very good knives. Neither are stainless or stainless cladded, so that may be a consideration. Personally, I like patinas, so that's a plus in my book.

I've owned the mazaki and the Toyama sujis. The Toyama lives up to its reputation, but as you've noticed, it's expensive.

The mazaki is different than the Toyama. It has much more spine taper, and becomes quite thin by the tip. It also has a pointy tip, compared to toyama's K-tip. This means that the balance point is closer to the handle and the knife feels more nimble. Still, I don't remember it to be overly flexible, even at the tip.

Over all, I liked the Toyama better and sold the mazaki. Both are very, very good knives. Neither are stainless or stainless cladded, so that may be a consideration. Personally, I like patinas, so that's a plus in my book.

How was the blade height of the Mazaki? I think I like the Mazaki over the Toyama on looks and obviously price. It is taller than the Toyama based on the website specs. Wasn't looking for too tall of a sujihiki, which is a big reason why I think I'm back to a 270mm.

Thank you!

Edit: JNS got back to me and they have a 40mm height of the Mazaki Kasumi older model. Is the older model better? Worse? Just different? What's different about it?

Last edited:
Here's my WTS post (note, my mazaki was the KU version, which is similar but maybe slightly thicker):

Mazaki W#2 270 KU Suji: photos here: https://imgur.com/gallery/WXqadeI
-- paid $260, selling for $225. Used once to test against a Toyama suji. Toyama won.
-- Mazaki's version of the sujihiki is different than his gyuto. The spine is fat coming out of the handle, then it thins out to a ghost by the front 1/4 of the blade. The balance point is a bit further back than my Toyama, which makes the Mazaki feel a more nimble. My only complaint is that the D-shaped handle is on the small side and I have big hands.
-- specs are: 263g, 43mm high, 274mm heel-to-tip. Really a great knife, just love my Toyama too much.

Latest posts

Back