Sujihiki R2 270mm options

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perverockstar

Reaction score
What are the options available for this type of knife that you believe have a great performance? Wa octagonal handle or western are both ok.

Budget can go up to $700 if the knife is great.

Slicing cooked and raw meats. Pork, beef and fish.

Fine herbs slicing as well.

I was looking at Takeshi Saji but it seems that many people believe that his knives are too thick for being good kitchen performers.

I personally love my Mr. Itou R2 Gyuto but I haven't found any Sujihiki knife from him.

Yes, I want a fancy looking knife as well as functional. Black or Rainbow damascus finish would be great.

I already have a budget Shiro Kamo Sujihiki coming.

Last edited:
I've already considered the Yu Kurosaki knives. In fact, a co-worker has that model, I have tried it many times.

I would like to see what other options people recommend.

I'd advise you to buy a maker, not a steel.

What do you want in the knife?

I'm willing to consider other stainless steels

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Sujihiki

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? I like both.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 700

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Both

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing and filleting meat. Fish, chicken, beef and pork.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch. I also use the index finger on the spine when I make thin slices.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push and pull.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? A nice looking custom handle, nice damascus or tsuchime. A flashy look.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? The knife must feel balanced, like an extension of my arm. I do need some weight that helps with the slicing motion.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Slicing should be smooth. No food reactivity.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Edge retention is important. The less often I need to sharpen it the better. Mind that this particular knife wouldn't be used as often. I'm also getting a Shiro Kamo AS Sujihiki would will see most of my prep at the restaurant.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Mostly wood and plastic cutting boards.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes I do.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) I'm always willing to learn new things.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

In this case I want a special knife for special ocassions. Like when I'm experimenting with new dishes or cooking something special. It should not only be a pleasure to use, but also to look at.

Thank you.

i’m not really a fan of damascus, nor of SG2 (think my last SG2 dammy purchase dates back to the end of the Global Hypercolour era) but I reckon blades from Nigara tend to have the flashy aesthetics you seem to crave.

1642548440242.png

Probably worth mentioning that I also don’t think thinness behind the edge is quite as vital for sujis - no joint or lump of fish should be that much of a wedge hazard - so If Saji and his dubious horn handles appeal to you take a look

Attachments

• 1642548424261.png
    1642548424261.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 9
True. My KnS ZDP gyuto is perhaps the most beautiful thing I own. It's certainly the flashiest thing I own.

I mean... mine still looks new after a couple years of casual home use. But it's a 270 so it's more of an occasional gyuto for me and isn't in super heavy rotation. But in my experience, it's pretty close to stainless. Actually, in my experience it *is* stainless. I've heard of other Sukenari ZDPs getting patinated, but mine sure hasn't. I haven't gone through a case of limes with it or anything, but I cut all kinds of things with it and haven't had any reactivity. I don't leave it sitting though. It's too pretty to sit dirty.

Anecdotally, I'm still waiting for some kind of patina, discoloration, reaction, something to happen with Z-Wear and it has way less chromium in it than ZDP-189 (carbon also).

Anecdotally, I'm still waiting for some kind of patina, discoloration, reaction, something to happen with Z-Wear and it has way less chromium in it than ZDP-189 (carbon also).
Although to be fair, ZDP has so much carbon that most of the Cr is bound up in carbides, so the actual free Cr is relatively low.

The US site or the au site?
Try knivesandstones.com.au

Well, most of their Sujihikis are sold out. And none of the available ones grab my attention.

Sadly, it is seems like it is very similar in most sites. Many Sujihikis sold out...

I have a Itou R2 sujihiki and another R2 slicer so they exist. They're nice alongside Tanaka Ironwood R2 sujihikis.

For a thinner R2 in a lower price range, the Raicho no ren suji is great.

I have a Itou R2 sujihiki and another R2 slicer so they exist. They're nice alongside Tanaka Ironwood R2 sujihikis.

For a thinner R2 in a lower price range, the Raicho no ren suji is great.

If by any chance you happen to see a Mr. Itou Sujihiki in stock somewhere, please let me know.

I'll throw a message to Koki from JCK and see if I can put a custom order through them. A Mr. Itou would indeed make me very happy, after I love so much my Mr. Itou Gyuto. It just feels right and looks sexy AF.

Last edited:
Well, I contacted Koki and he said that he will order the Sujihiki to Mr. Itou with a handle of my choice :) . He has no idea how much time it would take but I do not have any problem with that.

Thank you all for your help.

Back