Sujihiki recommendation

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by OnionSlicer, Jun 7, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2019 #1

OnionSlicer

OnionSlicer

OnionSlicer

USA

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    Slicer

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Any

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    270 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    No, but stainless cladding would be nice

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    $420

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    Slicing beef and pork roasts

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    Currently using MAC superior bread knife for this task

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    Push cutting and slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
    Not sure!

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
    Not important since it will be used sparingly

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
    Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes

Hi everyone, I've never owned a quality slicer knife and would like to find out what I've been missing. Roasts are the favorite type of meat to cook in our household, and I'd say we make close to two per week on average. On one hand that's not a lot of use for a dedicated knife, but on the other hand I got this perfect slot in my knife block...

Here are a couple of options that appeal to me:

KOCHI 270MM KUROUCHI STAINLESS CLAD CARBON WA-SUJIHIKI (assuming it comes back in stock)
    https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...mm-kurouchi-stainless-clad-carbon-wa-sujihiki

FUJIMOTO NASHIJI SUJIHIKI 270MM
    https://knifewear.com/products/fujimoto-nashiji-sujihiki-270mm

Takeda NAS Yanagiba 270mm is another one, which is why I set my max budget at $420, but I've seen significant negativity regarding Takeda knives here, and I'm not even sure what I'd be getting with it over, say, the Fujimoto that's half the price.

All ideas welcome, thanks in advance.

2. Jun 7, 2019 #2

esoo

esoo

esoo

I just got a Kaeru 270 Suji and it was nice for the price. I've only used it a couple of times and thought it good. For the price, finish is good. Only thing it really needs out of the box is a coat of mineral oil on the handle, but the handle it quite nice for a basic one.

idemhj likes this.
  3. Jun 7, 2019 #3

Elliot

Elliot

Elliot

Supporting Member

Hi -

The Kochi is a lovely choice.
    However, you have a pretty healthy price point. As such, I would highly recommend Toyama when JNS gets them back in stock.

4. Jun 7, 2019 #4
    idemhj likes this.
  5. Jun 9, 2019 #5

Phip

Phip

Phip

Supporting Member

Indeed that is a spectacular knife at an extremely attractive price.

6. Jun 9, 2019 #6

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

Mazaki stainless, it’s just amazing. That said, the ones that get talked about outperforming the Mazaki are the Toyama and Heiji; at least the Toyama is in your range. The Suisin and Kochi are undoubtedly excellent choices as well.

7. Jun 11, 2019 at 6:06 AM #7

OnionSlicer

OnionSlicer

OnionSlicer

Thank you for all the suggestions, there are some new names here for me to look up!

Is there any sort of expert consensus on super thin vs more workhorse sujihikis, or is it all personal preference?

8. Jun 11, 2019 at 5:36 PM #8

Wasabi_GL

Wasabi_GL

Wasabi_GL

Supporting Member

9. Jun 11, 2019 at 6:20 PM #9
    It's largely preference, I have a couple suji (ha!) and can do most any slicing task with any of them. I do find that a thinner suji is more suited for thin slices, fish slices, other delicate work. A heavier suji is more suited for big roasts, briskets, other crusted meats. But I have sliced sashimi with my big dog and have carved roasts with my thinnest.

10. Jun 14, 2019 at 12:25 AM #10

-toa-

-toa-

-toa-

You might also consider the kagekiyo sujihiki. Excellent grind and superb. finish, but surprisingly nimble (at least the one i´ve tried in white#2). More of a midweight than heavy sujihiki.

11. Jun 14, 2019 at 2:55 AM #11

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

I really love my 240mm hinoura suji from Bernal. I bought it for home for crusty meats, but I keep taking it to work at the fancy meat shop for raw meat. When I bring it back to the mothership for sharpening, I use it for roasts and things and love it for that too. It and the munetoshi 210 slicer just take an edge you can hone on sunlight and then go to work shaving peaches.

Xenif and ThinMan like this.
  12. Jun 14, 2019 at 10:20 AM #12

-toa-

-toa-

-toa-

Nice choices there. When do you go for the mune 210 instead of the hinoura ? (ie, for what tasks). thanks.

13. Jun 15, 2019 at 12:46 AM #13

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

If I’m just portioning steaks or chops, or slicing cutlets, etc., I reach for the Hinoura. If I need to do a lot of trimming of fat or especially silver skin, the point on the munetoshi rocks. I also changed out the original handle for a large brand chestnut handle from maxim so that it handles more like a large boning knife, which means it’s good for slicing, trimming, portioning, light boning, etc.

And too also, I work in a tiny place where things sometimes move at breakneck speed and I’m the only guy cutting, so having a few knives to choose from means I can have a knife for beef on one table, a knife for pork on the other, and a knife to trim the lamb loin perched on the cutting board balanced atop the freezer.

Wasabi_GL likes this.
  14. Jun 15, 2019 at 1:42 AM #14

Customfan

Customfan

Customfan

One of the best suggestions it so talk to Jon of JKI and he will suggest a blade that fits your needs, he always has a nice selection and is very helpful.

I personally like the sujis Mazaki has for the price point on JNS.

Good Luck!

15. Jun 15, 2019 at 10:27 AM #15

-toa-

-toa-

-toa-

Thanks filmbulvetr, appreciate it.

16. Jun 15, 2019 at 1:56 PM #16

Thorndahl88

Thorndahl88

Thorndahl88

Quoted in my pocket

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 2:35 PM