Sujihiki recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Slicer

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Any

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No, but stainless cladding would be nice

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$420

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing beef and pork roasts

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Currently using MAC superior bread knife for this task

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cutting and slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Not sure!

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not important since it will be used sparingly

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Hi everyone, I've never owned a quality slicer knife and would like to find out what I've been missing. Roasts are the favorite type of meat to cook in our household, and I'd say we make close to two per week on average. On one hand that's not a lot of use for a dedicated knife, but on the other hand I got this perfect slot in my knife block...

Here are a couple of options that appeal to me:

KOCHI 270MM KUROUCHI STAINLESS CLAD CARBON WA-SUJIHIKI (assuming it comes back in stock)
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...mm-kurouchi-stainless-clad-carbon-wa-sujihiki

FUJIMOTO NASHIJI SUJIHIKI 270MM
https://knifewear.com/products/fujimoto-nashiji-sujihiki-270mm

Takeda NAS Yanagiba 270mm is another one, which is why I set my max budget at $420, but I've seen significant negativity regarding Takeda knives here, and I'm not even sure what I'd be getting with it over, say, the Fujimoto that's half the price.

All ideas welcome, thanks in advance.

I just got a Kaeru 270 Suji and it was nice for the price. I've only used it a couple of times and thought it good. For the price, finish is good. Only thing it really needs out of the box is a coat of mineral oil on the handle, but the handle it quite nice for a basic one.

Hi -

The Kochi is a lovely choice.
However, you have a pretty healthy price point. As such, I would highly recommend Toyama when JNS gets them back in stock.

Mazaki stainless, it’s just amazing. That said, the ones that get talked about outperforming the Mazaki are the Toyama and Heiji; at least the Toyama is in your range. The Suisin and Kochi are undoubtedly excellent choices as well.

Thank you for all the suggestions, there are some new names here for me to look up!

Is there any sort of expert consensus on super thin vs more workhorse sujihikis, or is it all personal preference?

Is there any sort of expert consensus on super thin vs more workhorse sujihikis, or is it all personal preference?

It's largely preference, I have a couple suji (ha!) and can do most any slicing task with any of them. I do find that a thinner suji is more suited for thin slices, fish slices, other delicate work. A heavier suji is more suited for big roasts, briskets, other crusted meats. But I have sliced sashimi with my big dog and have carved roasts with my thinnest.

You might also consider the kagekiyo sujihiki. Excellent grind and superb. finish, but surprisingly nimble (at least the one i´ve tried in white#2). More of a midweight than heavy sujihiki.

I really love my 240mm hinoura suji from Bernal. I bought it for home for crusty meats, but I keep taking it to work at the fancy meat shop for raw meat. When I bring it back to the mothership for sharpening, I use it for roasts and things and love it for that too. It and the munetoshi 210 slicer just take an edge you can hone on sunlight and then go to work shaving peaches.

I really love my 240mm hinoura suji from Bernal. I bought it for home for crusty meats, but I keep taking it to work at the fancy meat shop for raw meat. When I bring it back to the mothership for sharpening, I use it for roasts and things and love it for that too. It and the munetoshi 210 slicer just take an edge you can hone on sunlight and then go to work shaving peaches.

Nice choices there. When do you go for the mune 210 instead of the hinoura ? (ie, for what tasks). thanks.

Nice choices there. When do you go for the mune 210 instead of the hinoura ? (ie, for what tasks). thanks.

If I’m just portioning steaks or chops, or slicing cutlets, etc., I reach for the Hinoura. If I need to do a lot of trimming of fat or especially silver skin, the point on the munetoshi rocks. I also changed out the original handle for a large brand chestnut handle from maxim so that it handles more like a large boning knife, which means it’s good for slicing, trimming, portioning, light boning, etc.

And too also, I work in a tiny place where things sometimes move at breakneck speed and I’m the only guy cutting, so having a few knives to choose from means I can have a knife for beef on one table, a knife for pork on the other, and a knife to trim the lamb loin perched on the cutting board balanced atop the freezer.

One of the best suggestions it so talk to Jon of JKI and he will suggest a blade that fits your needs, he always has a nice selection and is very helpful.

I personally like the sujis Mazaki has for the price point on JNS.

Good Luck!

Thanks filmbulvetr, appreciate it.

One note: I talked up the sujihiki enough so that I idly checked Bernal Cutlery to see if they had a 270i could drool over and the sujihiki I bought is not there atm. I got a “Hinoura Shirogami 240mm Wa-Sujihiki” and they’re showing the aogami version these days.

Edit: Dammit. I’m in the wrong thread. Replying to the right person though, so I’m claiming partial credit and declaring this portion of my afternoon a success.

Np, appreciate it. I too checked Bernal after you wrote the initial reply. I´m thinking that the shirogami version could be the Ajikataya w2 line (this is both made in smooth ku, and a more textured ku nashijii finish). Still you got me thinking about favorable steel choice for raw vs cooked meat. ps: i also got the mune slicer after you wrote about it. seems like i´ll need to try the hinoura too.. ;)

Hinoura would be nice their HT is super but could a bit brittle if you bit careless, or if you like a thinner knife, go for Ginga or my Fav, Shibata Kotetsu. You will see a lot of preference and style for a knife in here, some like it 'thicccccc', some like it 'laser', some like it in the middle of the road.

Sound advice. ps: I´m a fan of the shibata suji also. Probably doesn´t get nearly the amount of attention that it should ..

Latest posts

Back