Sukenari R2 Damascus Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one. It's a good all-around knife but it's probably not the best blade to learn how to sharpen on, at least if you're attracted to that mirror finish. If you don't mind it getting scuffed and scratched, then go for it. It's made to cut things, not to be looked at... although it is undeniably quite pretty. Keep in mind that Sukenari gyutos run short; the 210 is really a 204 and the 240 is 231mm. You might consider going up a size.

For a home cook that prepped 3-4 meals a week for 3 people, my Kurosaki R2s stayed quite sharp for over a year. No scratches and still looked great (I avoided stuff like the initial cuts on mango where I might get scratches from the rough seed). Used a kitchen sponge and bathroom cotton hand towel to dry. When the edge got a little dull, stropping on diamond on leather brought it right back. To sharpen I just stropped on a 4K stone then the leather
I do agree that for me now a 225-230 is perfect, but I was very happy with my Kurosaki 180 and 210 for years.

I have one. It's a good all-around knife but it's probably not the best blade to learn how to sharpen on, at least if you're attracted to that mirror finish. If you don't mind it getting scuffed and scratched, then go for it. It's made to cut things, not to be looked at... although it is undeniably quite pretty. Keep in mind that Sukenari gyutos run short; the 210 is really a 204 and the 240 is 231mm. You might consider going up a size.

I am not terribly worried about the mirror finish and I have been sharpening knives for years, albeit inexpensive ones. Thanks for the heads up about blade length. Has that always been the case or have there been batches of short ones.

For a home cook that prepped 3-4 meals a week for 3 people, my Kurosaki R2s stayed quite sharp for over a year. No scratches and still looked great (I avoided stuff like the initial cuts on mango where I might get scratches from the rough seed). Used a kitchen sponge and bathroom cotton hand towel to dry. When the edge got a little dull, stropping on diamond on leather brought it right back. To sharpen I just stropped on a 4K stone then the leather
I do agree that for me now a 225-230 is perfect, but I was very happy with my Kurosaki 180 and 210 for years.

Thanks! The Shizuku actually my second choice right now.

I am not terribly worried about the mirror finish and I have been sharpening knives for years, albeit inexpensive ones. Thanks for the heads up about blade length. Has that always been the case or have there been batches of short ones.
It's a Sakai thing. They measure from machi or ferrule to tip, instead of heel to tip.

Latest posts

Back