Summer Knife needs :) Break out the long blades :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarvenChef

Reaction score
As a home cook (nowdays) I find my needs for the long blades I adored at work just don't see much use. Face it 90% of the homes nowdays just don't have the counter space for a 270 or better blade.

But there is one thing they just ring out the cheers for... Watermellon and Pinapples :thumbsup2:

2 to 3 times a week we get a watermellon or pineapple and I always grab my LR Harner blade, the 11.5"er It makes short work of these fruits big time :) My 300 H AS Wa Gyuto still gets saved for slab bacon and it works so well for that task :)

So for those with the big blades at home what do you do with them :)

270s and 300s? Cutting bananas for cereal, opening my mail, hulling strawberries...anything along those lines. :D

Slicing protein, scaring my bro, self defence haha :wink:

I introduced my wife to my DT ITK 270 gyuto last weekend when she was getting ready to cut up a watermelon. That was the first time she has really used any of my J knives and she was really impressed on how easy cutting the watermelon was.

I introduced my wife to my DT ITK 270 gyuto last weekend when she was getting ready to cut up a watermelon. That was the first time she has really used any of my J knives and she was really impressed on how easy cutting the watermelon was.

This summer my wife also discovered that a longer blade on watermelons was a good thing. She used her santuko all the time before and I suggested she use my long LRH, she was most impressed with how it worked :) Now she uses it all the time :p

Cut a grilled steak up with my Carter 285 that came back from Dave with a fresh edge - like butta. Gotta get a melon to use my melon knife, have to do that once a year to justify its existence...

Stefan

I just used a Nenox 285 suji to get thin slices of watermelon for a drink garnish. Sliced off of the watermelon when it was still whole. Some dude at work was trying to use one of those two handled cheese knives to do it. I told him to step aside...

I find my 240 FKH seems to handle most of my grill meat cutting on its own. I will admit that I did use my Konosuke 270 HD Suji on a watermelon just because I could :scared2:

Hoping to smoke a brisket this weekend though. :)

I just used a Nenox 285 suji to get thin slices of watermelon for a drink garnish. Sliced off of the watermelon when it was still whole. Some dude at work was trying to use one of those two handled cheese knives to do it. I told him to step aside...

Mattias --> :fishslap: <--other dude at work

Heh. I use my 270 for almost every cutting task around the house. From opening a small package of couscous to over-taped cardboard boxes; I had it in the basement the other day, trimming hose. I pruned a few houseplants with it. Cut rope, twine. An electrical cord. I'd trim my nose hair with it, if I wasn't so scared of poking my face.

Back