Swedish white vanilla powder?

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by GorillaGrunt, Nov 12, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 12, 2018 #1

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

A friend of mine lived in Sweden and fell in love with their vanilla powder for baking. She says it’s white, not brown, and it’s not powdered vanilla bean. Anyone know what this product is or where it can be sourced?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Nov 12, 2018 #2

dough

dough

dough

Nielsen Massey has a white vanilla powder. Don’t know if that’s what your looking for nor do I know how it’s made.

3. Nov 12, 2018 #3

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

And I thought it was all Danish. Our kin there brings us a box from time to time.

4. Nov 12, 2018 #4

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

@dough thanks for the tip - I didn’t know there was a vanilla merchant like that! I ordered some and we’ll see if that’s it. @noodle She’s gotten some vanilla products in Denmark that apparently just aren’t the same thing :rolleyes: The only specifically Swedish product I’ve found is vanilla sugar, and that fits the description, but she swears down that’s not it either.

5. Nov 15, 2018 #5

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

Found some white vanilla powder at Nielsen Massey and at a local spice shop - in both cases it’s vanilla and maltodextrin. We’ll see...

6. Nov 15, 2018 #6

dough

dough

dough

Ya I kinda wondered seeing as vanilla isn’t white there would most likely have to be a reason why is wasn’t it’s usual color. Good luck with your search it’s too bad she can’t remember a brand name or any other details.

7. Nov 15, 2018 #7

buffhr

buffhr

buffhr

Does she perhaps know the name or the brand it was? Here in Finland we have 2a fewbut different variants:
    Finnish name: vanilliinisokeri Swedish name: Vanillinsocker (kind of a sweeter more artificial sugar) (white)
    Finnish name: Vaniljasokeri Swedish name: Vanilj-socker (vanilja sugar) (white ishh)
    Finnish name: Vaniljajauhe Swedish name : Vaniljepulver (vanila powder not sure if from bean or not) (Usually brown )
    Finnish name Vaniljakreemi-jauhe Swedish name : Vaniljkrämpulver ( Vanila custard powder usually white)

I believe it might be the last one as most items here are shared between both countries....

8. Nov 16, 2018 #8

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

It could very well be the last one - unfortunately she doesn’t know the brand nor a Swedish word. Worth checking out, thanks!

9. Nov 19, 2018 #9

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

Update - the one with maltodextrin is “very close but not quite it”

10. Nov 20, 2018 #10

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

i got all excited thinking this was going to be about swedish drugs. only to be greatly disappointed.

11. Nov 23, 2018 #11

Vils

Vils

Vils

12. Nov 23, 2018 #12

HugSeal

HugSeal

HugSeal

I would guess at vanillin-pulver (vanillin-powder). There is a brand called vanilla aswell.

13. Nov 28, 2018 #13

Cutting_Edge

Cutting_Edge

Cutting_Edge

My wife is opening a at home Cottage Bakery I wonder if she has baked with any of these types of vanilla alternatives? Please share if you figure it out.

14. Dec 2, 2018 #14

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

I’ll ask her - I’ll also have to try the pure vanillin and see if that’s it, although I can’t imagine a single-note flavor being better than a naturally complex one. I do know that if using powder instead of extract you’ll have to slightly adjust the liquid amount in the recipe.