symmetrical gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdpx

Reaction score
Some friends were just round and playing with my CarboNext 210 gytuo and they said they wanted one.
Problem is he is left- and she right-handed.
I pointed out it was a problem.
He said it was fine.

So - either I just point them to the JCK site and tell them to get a CarboNext, or you guys tell me a nice symmetrical gyuto they could buy. Probably semi or totally stainless, ideally one that I wont have to be sharpening for them every three weeks...

We are in UK so a JCK knife would be nice....

Thanks

Robert

If he says that the asymmetry isn't a problem, then let them get a Carbonext. Then get a synthetic aoto from Maksim at JNS and teach one of them how to strop on it to extend the time that you have to sharpen it.

Rick

Budget I guess in the CarboNext range with a bit of leeway.

I don't mind him having a CarboNext if he says he isn't worried by wrong handed assymmetry, but I would be happier to recommend a knife they could both use properly.

Tanaka blues are pretty ambidextrous. I have one, and my sous has one and he is left handed. I am not sure if that is the same with the VG10 or ginsanko line. Also the gesshin Uraku 210 gyuto looks pretty symmetric except for the bevel and that is neither a big deal nor hard to fix. But considering carbonext is on sale at JCK right now for $105 it is going to be hard to beat.

Most left-handed are used to blades that are not exactly ideal to them. Get the Carbonext, attenuate its asymmetry a bit by recentering the edge a little and convex the left face, and you have a pretty neutral blade.

Most left-handed are used to blades that are not exactly ideal to them. Get the Carbonext, attenuate its asymmetry a bit by recentering the edge a little and convex the left face, and you have a pretty neutral blade.

Sounds good to me, I will send them a link!

Thanks all.

Back