T-F knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko9

Reaction score
Can anybody give me a quick explanation between T-F's offerings; Nashiji, Maboroshi and Denka? There is no explanation on his web site to differentiate between these three types. I purchased two Nashiji knives from him a Gyuto and a Petty and I like them a lot even though the Gyuto is pretty heavy. What makes the others types different?

Last edited:
Nashiji uses prelam white #1 bar stock

Maboroshi is forged lam white #1

Denka is forged lam agaomi super with ku finish as opposed to Maboroshi.

Nashiji uses prelam white #1 bar stock

Maboroshi is forged lam white #1

Denka is forged lam agaomi super with ku finish as opposed to Maboroshi.

Thank you I might be interested in a Denka at some point in time. I like my Nashiji and the edge that I'm able to get but, i would like to try some of his other knives.

All three lines are stainless clad.
Maboroshi is harder (~64-65 HRC) than Nashiji (61-63), Denka is hardest at 65-66. Taking those numbers from knifewear.
I have seen the Nashiji listed anywhere from 60-61 to 65-66. Carbon Knife Co list them as 64-65. Is it possible that these are made at different HRCs for different distributors/retailers? If not who's to say what they really are? Just from my reading about them over many years I have a tendency to believe they are on the harder side in at least the 63-64 range.

Last edited:
I have seen the Nashiji listed anywhere from 60-61 to 65-66. Carbon Knife Co list them as 64-65. Is it possible that these are made at different HRCs for different distributors/retailers? If not who's to say what they really are? Just from my reading about them over many years I have a tendency to believe they are on the harder side in at least the 63-64 range.

I bought both of my Nashiji knives directly from T-F and I have to believe that they are on the big side of hardness since they both had micro chipping on the leading edge before I sharpened them. They both are great now with no further micro chipping.

I bought both of my Nashiji knives directly from T-F and I have to believe that they are on the big side of hardness since they both had micro chipping on the leading edge before I sharpened them. They both are great now with no further micro chipping.
I bought 3 Nashijis direct back in 2014 and most sites had them listed as 64-65 back then. I tend to think that is a very close representation of them.

I have two Nashiji's and while they get screaming sharp, they do lose it pretty quickly. I strop my petty before every use to keep it cutting but my 240 Gyuto sits on the shelf gathering dust.

Ginga is a line from Ashi. Gesshin is Jon’s house brand. So in the ideal world, we would get Gesshin TF.

Nothing wrong with TF grind IMO. Sure the earlier examples were hit or miss but for more recent production TF have addressed the inconsistencies.

And Jon carried TF many years ago and dropped them, so I don't think he'll be going down that path again.

There is an issue with tf grinds and finishes. There are plenty of senior members here who have not experienced them and they have multiple tf knives. Contact them and ask how they acquired them because plenty of other members have had serious issues.

Nothing wrong with TF grind IMO. Sure the earlier examples were hit or miss but for more recent production TF have addressed the inconsistencies.

And Jon carried TF many years ago and dropped them, so I don't think he'll be going down that path again.

CKTG carried T-F and dropped him as well complaining about inconsistencies in quality.

There is an issue with tf grinds and finishes. There are plenty of senior members here who have not experienced them and they have multiple tf knives. Contact them and ask how they acquired them because plenty of other members have had serious issues.

I noticed that one of the most frequently cited complaints was micro-chipping at the edge. My 240 Gyuto had that but, after sharpening one time that issue went away.

Gesshin Denka please!

CKTG carried T-F and dropped him as well complaining about inconsistencies in quality.

Which is funny because I remember watching one of their "Quick Look" videos before and they showed a knife with an overgrind, I think a Moritaka. It could of been another knife though...

Last edited:
I feel like even today it’s still a gamble ordering direct from him. As much as I love the look and heat treat of his knives, I’m still nervous ordering direct from him even with pictures. And personally I feel for that price range of the mab and denka you should not have to have those worries ordering direct from him. Just my opinion.

I noticed that one of the most frequently cited complaints was micro-chipping at the edge. My 240 Gyuto had that but, after sharpening one time that issue went away.
Micro chipping is only an issue with the factory edge. I don't think they use a fine enough grit stone to finish the edge making it unstable. A few mins on an appropriate stone and the issue goes away

Well if someone has received a dodgy grind TF direct in the last 6 months, please post here.

I have 5 denkas, I have used at least one of them almost everyday for the past 4 years (home use). Never had a micro chip or an issue with the grind. Never had an issue with the blade itself. The finish on the other hand, especially on the handle, I have had some minor issues with a couple of them. In my opinion, his blades are some of the finest I have ever used. My 210 Gyuto is my favourite knife and I could have traded with the same size Shigafusa Kitaeji Gyuto unused, but refused.

I have 5 denkas, I have used at least one of them almost everyday for the past 4 years (home use). Never had a micro chip or an issue with the grind. Never had an issue with the blade itself. The finish on the other hand, especially on the handle, I have had some minor issues with a couple of them. In my opinion, his blades are some of the finest I have ever used. My 210 Gyuto is my favourite knife and I could have traded with the same size Shigafusa Kitaeji Gyuto unused, but refused.
Wouldn't trade my 210 Denka either.

I want to try the Denka's and when I purchased my Nashiji's he offered the Ebony and Horn upgrade so I got those handles on both of my T-F kni

Back