• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Takada No Hamono 210mm Ginsan Suiboku gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks. I just ordered and received a really beautiful Takada No Hamon Ginsan Suiboku gyuto, 210mm, from Bernal Cutlery. Gorgeous knife, A+ grind, beautiful finish. As I took it out of the box, I saw the very intentional right hand grind/polishing on the heel at the grip. It is absurdly comfortable for a righty, and absurdly uncomfortable for me, a lefty. I've not cut with the knife - it went right back in the box. I cried a little, and then was mad for not remembering that Takada did that (but why, with a 50/50 grind?). My loss is your gain. I bought it four days ago for $440. I'll sell it for $50 off what I paid, CONUS, if someone wants it. Photos and specs here:
https://bernalcutlery.com/collectio...tagonal-ho-horn-handle?variant=40555771855000If no one buys it, I'll find time in the coming months to round the choil so that my left hand works on it.

Why don't you have someone like John at JKI polish the heel for you? You obviously like the knife so it seems a shame to sell it off so quickly at a loss. Heck, it might be worth investigating sending it back to Japan for a left-hand "SPA treatment".

Why don't you have someone like John at JKI polish the heel for you? You obviously like the knife so it seems a shame to sell it off so quickly at a loss. Heck, it might be worth investigating sending it back to Japan for a left-hand "SPA treatment".
Thanks for the note. Jon at JKI isn't taking on work like this right now (and Jon, please correct me if I am wrong) plus the cost of shipping both ways and the work is the same as the loss in selling it. I indeed quite like the knife, but I'm being realistic about (1.) my time and (2.) what it would really cost to fix. When you make a dumb mistake, you gotta be tough, I was told once. Like I mentioned in my post, if no one wants it, fine by me - I'll set it aside for a few months and work on it as time allows.

i ve been holding out for a 240, if not I d be all over this! I tried a 210 and its just a tad too short with a 200m edge length. GLWS :)

With all the great folks in the forum, I bet someone can come up with a good recommendation for you to get this knife ready for service if Jon isn't taking on work these days.

That knife is pretty tempting for me but, I'm hoping the forum can find a good solution for you.

Best wishes for an awesome outcome!

Does it have this type of choil?

(stupid, but honest, question alert)

Don’t you US folks have any ‘rights to return‘ recent online purchases? Wouldn’t the easiest way be to return the product to the retailer and get credited the full amount back?

I‘ve only ever exercised this (Euro consumer right) once tbh, but in these days of Covid and buying things online, there’s surely acceptance that sometimes don’t feel right ‘in the hand’ and that you should be able to return things in a saleable condition. Many shops here even swallow return postage

Still, bloody nice blade that I‘d really like. But it prob makes even less sense to send to the UK. GLWS!

There are no specs on Bernal, could you give me the heel height and the edge length please Jamie? @thebradleycrew

Hey Nicola! Yes, the knife has the same choil as you posted online/IG. I didn't measure the specs as I literally only took it out of the box to see that the choil is rounded for a righty!

Right now it's SPF! Thanks, KFF.

(stupid, but honest, question alert)

Don’t you US folks have any ‘rights to return‘ recent online purchases? Wouldn’t the easiest way be to return the product to the retailer and get credited the full amount back?

I‘ve only ever exercised this (Euro consumer right) once tbh, but in these days of Covid and buying things online, there’s surely acceptance that sometimes don’t feel right ‘in the hand’ and that you should be able to return things in a saleable condition. Many shops here even swallow return postage

Still, bloody nice blade that I‘d really like. But it prob makes even less sense to send to the UK. GLWS!
It's a good question. I've only ever returned one knife, and it was expensive and had issues - generally I accept my decision and move on, even if it means losing a little money. I do that because I want to support the few high-end, knowledgeable knife businesses in the US that I frequent (JKI, CKTG, Carbon, Bernal, Strata, Knife House, etc.). I know they are all small businesses and that a return is really hard for them in terms of costs, labor, marketing, etc. So I guess I could ask, but for $50, I'd rather support them and sell the knife here and take the small loss for myself.

It's a good question. I've only ever returned one knife, and it was expensive and had issues - generally I accept my decision and move on, even if it means losing a little money. I do that because I want to support the few high-end, knowledgeable knife businesses in the US that I frequent (JKI, CKTG, Carbon, Bernal, Strata, Knife House, etc.). I know they are all small businesses and that a return is really hard for them in terms of costs, labor, marketing, etc. So I guess I could ask, but for $50, I'd rather support them and sell the knife here and take the small loss for myself.

Fairplay, I wrestled with some of the same issues myself when returning a Mazaki to Cutting Edge Knives in the UK - it was basically surprisingly close to the other Maz i had and I hated the handle - but the right to return here is so well enshrined that it seemed daft not to. Was sorely still tempted to cut a few things and then take a bit of a hit on BST mind, but losing a quarter of value (guess) for cutting an onion or two seemed an unnecessary wound to inflict on myself.

I‘m not sure it’s a huge hardship to the retailer if the knife is returned in prime condition and the stock is in demand - there’s little doubt that Takeda will sell again- but I also like to support decent businesses that I want to stick around. FWIW Cutting Edge‘s James was as nice and efficient as ever, so I’ve taken their 30 Day Money Back Guarantee at face value and not worried too much - I covered the return postage and returned back promptly in exactly the same nick, plus there’s little doubt I’ll be back.

Forgot to add, In the unlikely event this is still here in a week’s time, consider me very interested - been tracking these blades as an obvious uograde for my trusty and much used Kono SS 210,. (I’m guessing the heel height is a similarly ungenerous 45mm or so, which is fie with me), But I strongly suspect it’ll be easier for you not to tackle intl postage on top of everything else and that someone will relieve you of this

But I’d still be tempted to drop Bernal a line. They seem like nice folk, you seem like nice folk…

I see you’re in Portland. Why not give Strata a call and see if they can smooth out the choil for you? I bet they’d do it for less than $50 and you can spend another $500 on another knife while you’re there 🤣

It looks great ! Could you share some pics?

Last edited:
Back