• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Takada no Hamono 232mm Honyaki Gyuto (Nakagawa forged)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks, letting go of one of the crown jewels of my collection . . .

Takada no Hamono finished/sharpened Honyaki, forged by Nakagawa, who has taken over from Shiraki, in Hitachi White #2 steel.
This was a custom order through Takada-san, with a request for some extra height compared to his standard offerings. I don't think I've seen a similar blade for sale on here.
232mm heel to tip, ~50.5 mm tall at the heel, definitely on the lighter/thinner side at 175g (with handle).
Given Takada's reputation and long experience at Ashi Hamono, I have no doubt that this knife cuts as well as, or even better than, it looks.
Currently sporting a Jobone custom handle of some very cool Japanese elm burl with some wavy contrast that I think looks great with the hamon on the blade. I'm pretty sure the ferrule is blackwood, with a taper on both sides at the front of the handle.
The knife is brand new, never used, has never touched food. I'm pretty sure it still has the protective lacquer coating on it. Comes in original box.
Why am I selling such a rare knife? I've decided that it's just too nice for me, and I don't feel comfortable using it, so it's time to find a new home where someone else will love it and USE it.
The blade only was purchased in October 2021 for $1450.
I'm offering it here, with the custom handle, for $1450. If you don't love the handle and plan to change it, I'll remove it and offer the blade only for $1375. (It's a cool handle and I'd happily put it on another knife.)
The above prices include shipping and insurance and PayPal fees for U.S. buyers. International buyers, we can talk by DM if you don't mind paying a bit more to cover international shipping and insurance.
I'll add some pics below shortly.
Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thanks for looking!

Some indoor pics

Attachments

• PXL_20230208_030253343.jpg
    PXL_20230208_030253343.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230208_030359890.jpg
    PXL_20230208_030359890.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230208_030407575.jpg
    PXL_20230208_030407575.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230208_030442007.jpg
    PXL_20230208_030442007.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hey folks, letting go of one of the crown jewels of my collection . . .

Takada no Hamono finished/sharpened Honyaki, forged by Nakagawa, who has taken over from Shiraki, in Hitachi White #2 steel.
This was a custom order through Takada-san, with a request for some extra height compared to his standard offerings. I don't think I've seen a similar blade for sale on here.
232mm heel to tip, ~50.5 mm tall at the heel, definitely on the lighter/thinner side at 175g (with handle).
Given Takada's reputation and long experience at Ashi Hamono, I have no doubt that this knife cuts as well as, or even better than, it looks.
Currently sporting a Jobone custom handle of some very cool Japanese elm burl with some wavy contrast that I think looks great with the hamon on the blade. I'm pretty sure the ferrule is blackwood, with a taper on both sides at the front of the handle.
The knife is brand new, never used, has never touched food. I'm pretty sure it still has the protective lacquer coating on it. Comes in original box.
Why am I selling such a rare knife? I've decided that it's just too nice for me, and I don't feel comfortable using it, so it's time to find a new home where someone else will love it and USE it.
The blade only was purchased in October 2021 for $1450.
I'm offering it here, with the custom handle, for $1450. If you don't love the handle and plan to change it, I'll remove it and offer the blade only for $1375. (It's a cool handle and I'd happily put it on another knife.)
The above prices include shipping and insurance and PayPal fees for U.S. buyers. International buyers, we can talk by DM if you don't mind paying a bit more to cover international shipping and insurance.
I'll add some pics below shortly.
Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thanks for looking!
Pm’ed

Hi all, just want to give my strong endorsement of @Carbonara as a great member to do a transaction with. He's a very new member and decided to jump into the very deep end of the pool with this purchase. I had a bit of hesitation selling such a high-value knife to such a new member. He was very understanding of my concerns, and we did a little discussing to work out some details to our mutual agreement. His communication and follow-through were great, I would not hesitate to do other transactions with him, and definitely recommend him to others.
I'm very happy that he is the happy new owner of this very special blade!

Latest posts

Back