Takada no Hamono

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 270 but it's waiting for some woodwork at Carbon together with two other knives of mine. There's some in the wild that have been used. A friend of mine is loving his but I have no personal impressions.

Anyway just for those who are reading and wondering about Takada Hamono, he was a polisher working for Ashi who started his own company. If you guys want a cheapish "Ashi" buy a Takada honyaki. The smith is unknown, but the knives are polished by Takada, and you get all the steel banding, etc.. ;)

Anyway just for those who are reading and wondering about Takada Hamono, he was a polisher working for Ashi who started his own company. If you guys want a cheapish "Ashi" buy a Takada honyaki. The smith is unknown, but the knives are polished by Takada, and you get all the steel banding, etc.. ;)
The smith isn't unknown for the sanmai, which I think this thread is mostly about, I admit never looking deep into the honyaki but the sanmai are Yoshikazu Tanaka.

Your patients is note worthy. Please keep (me) us updated.
Yeah, I have enough knives to play with in the meantime... That's gonna be a good shipment since it will come with a small Comet honyaki and a Hiromoto honyaki thinned and rehandled (I really wasn't looking forward to grinding that all on stones on top of all my ongoing projects).

Well it looks like a few months have gone by...anybody had a chance to drive one of the San mai takada’s yet?
I have a couple of choices for next knife purchase. I’m thinking about maybe one of these or a kagekiyo blue 1.

Well it looks like a few months have gone by...anybody had a chance to drive one of the San mai takada’s yet?
I have a couple of choices for next knife purchase. I’m thinking about maybe one of these or a kagekiyo blue 1.
Should you buy the kagekiyo blue 1 please tell me your impressions and how reactive it is. What else are you looking at? Since I really like your taste.

Well thank you.
I’m searching for an Ikeda suminigashi 270mm but those are hard to come by...so I’m considering my alternates...
The Mizuno KS in BST is pretty nice especially for the price but it’s really more appropriate for a right handed user.
So now I’m on the lookout for Sakai thin 270mm gyutos...
Takada and Kagekiyo are both available so my attention is peaked.
Really want to check out Jons wh1 kagekiyo if he ever stocks a 270mm.
I might have a parle w Craig at Carbon about this stuff.

the white #1 270m's are on order... just had a conversation with them about which things we would like to have done first, and i asked for the white #1 series to be a priority (because they are SICK, and because we don't have a ton being made, so it wont put the rest of our stuff that far behind if we do that)

Those W#1 Kagekiyos that Jon has are CRAZY thin.

the white #1 270m's are on order... just had a conversation with them about which things we would like to have done first, and i asked for the white #1 series to be a priority (because they are SICK, and because we don't have a ton being made, so it wont put the rest of our stuff that far behind if we do that)
Hey Jon your Kagekiyos are just normal ones or do you put additional work into it? Haven't ordered from you yet since I hate German customs with products coming from the US but will definitely do in the future, maybe visit in person. Thanks for answering.
Julian

We have a lot of input on what the series we get look like, but i don't know what other people are getting. The changes we make might affect all orders or might just be for us. Its hard for me to say. Often times, changes we make begin by being only for our orders, but in most cases, we see the craftsmen make these changes across the board in the long run. For example, we specifically order the white #1 as the thinnest, and the blue #1 as the thickest in the series (not super thick, but within the series they are the thickest at the spine). The others range in the middle. We also talk about what kind of finish/grind/etc we like and how the craftsmen go about certain parts of the making process. Being that I'm not seeing the knife others are ordering, i just don't feel comfortable commenting on what they get. However, i will say that regardless of whether or not things are being made the way i specifically want, the kagekiyo series is awesome irrespective of where you buy it from. They really pay a lot of attention to fit and finish, as well as consistency... to such a degree that i don't ever have to say anything to them about it.

I am reading about Takada no Hamono and found out actually some knives are forged by Shiraki, not all of them are from Yoshikazu Tanaka. Also, it is worth noting that Shiraki's ones are usually very short at the heel, like 45mm 46mm for a 240 gyuto - more or less.

I am reading about Takada no Hamono and found out actually some knives are forged by Shiraki, not all of them are from Yoshikazu Tanaka. Also, it is worth noting that Shiraki's ones are usually very short at the heel, like 45mm 46mm for a 240 gyuto - more or less.
Thats very good info to know friz. Thank you. I have one on order at the moment.

Has become my go-to knife. Balance is spot on, great f&f, probably the most precise cutter I have, good food release.

4604F961-F1B1-49AC-BA89-9AE5EF1B03B2.jpeg

773D29E8-2F61-4A86-97E9-F480A258F11D.jpeg

2D8CD5B0-D025-4605-B6C9-FE10E0C3C0BB.jpeg

I understand it is Nakagawa-san at Shiraki Hamano forging knives for Takada No Hamono. Definitely not as tall as the Tanaka forged knives. The 210mm Blue 2 gyuto I played with was just over 40mm tall and very nice...

Last edited:
Some of them are made by Tanaka, Some of them are made by Nakagawa depend on the series. I have the Nakagawa one, very nicely distal taper, a bit short (45~46mm), pretty fabulous food release and slice through food nicely. One of the best performing knives I own right now (better than Mazaki). It came with a Ho wood handle, and I would probably upgrade it in the future. holds its edge very nice for white 2, and the cladding is not too reactive like Mazaki.

Description of Hitohira says Shiraki Blacksmith and not Shiraki Hamono though. Also, 1 year ago, Takada said on Instagram the blades are forged by Mr. Shiraki.

Description of Hitohira says Shiraki Blacksmith and not Shiraki Hamono though. Also, 1 year ago, Takada said on Instagram the blades are forged by Mr. Shiraki.
Shiraki Blacksmith means it's Nakagawa, if it's not said by Kenichi Shiraki, then it's probably by Nakagawa since Shiraki himself is already retired.

I understand, so now, is either Yoshikazu Tanaka or Nakagawa the blacksmith?

I understand, so now, is either Yoshikazu Tanaka or Nakagawa the blacksmith?
Seems like those 2 are for the most part. there is some knife that he made like the 225 Stainless Gyuto and some VG10 series that who knows the blacksmith or factory was. I'm guessing that the old Stainless is from Ashi factory but I might be wrong.

Back