Takada Suiboku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also interested in the Suiboku blue 1 and have very little exposures to blues in general. For the more experienced among you -- would you go for the Takada or rather pick something else, e.g. a Fujiwara Denka or a Hitohira togashi blue?
I have a Hitohira bunka and a Takada nakiri, both 180mm and both in B-1, they are both really nice, but if I had to choose one, the Takada would win without much thought. It just feels more solid and I feel like the attention to detail around all the edges, not just the super sharp one, is superior.
two-180mm-in-b1.jpg

I had a Takada Suiboke 270 blue 1, and also a Tanaka-Yohei blue 1, and I have to say, I prefer the Tanaka-Yohei 270 from Strata - it is an incredible knife

Anyone know of any Takada Tanaka retailers besides MTC? Looking for a 240 gyuto. Have the 210 Takada Tanaka suiboku and just ordered a 240 Yohei Tanaka. But MTC shipping costs to UK are criminal. Opposite of Bernal.

Anyone know of any Takada Tanaka retailers besides MTC? Looking for a 240 gyuto. Have the 210 Takada Tanaka suiboku and just ordered a 240 Yohei Tanaka. But MTC shipping costs to UK are criminal. Opposite of Bernal.

DM tsubaya tokyo- i just ordered a 240mm ginsan suiboku, they might have some tanaka b1 or w2, doesn’t hurt to ask !

Carbon is also a Takada Tanaka dealer. Craig's most recent restock was about 1.5 months ago for a few Reikas, B1, and W2 240mm gyutos IIRC.

Kitchin tools in Singapore was the only place that seemed to carry them at the moment. Pretty fast ans easy to the UK

How exactly is the Y Tanaka Yohei different, seems a number of people here have both this and the Takada Suiboku Blue 1? I love the Y Tanaka Yohei despite the ridiculously reactive cladding.

How exactly is the Y Tanaka Yohei different, seems a number of people here have both this and the Takada Suiboku Blue 1? I love the Y Tanaka Yohei despite the ridiculously reactive cladding.

Interested in hearing the answer to this, I also have a Tanaka-Yohei but no Suiboku.
Seems like the difference is just the finish?

You guys mean like the real lasers like Ashi, Suisin Inox Honyaki etc kind of knives?

I have the suiboku w2 and an ashi stainless, the suiboku feels more of a laser to me than the ashi.

Can anyone explain what the "suiboku finish" means? I've been looking and havent been able to find a definition.

It refers to a style of ink painting, which he was inspired by when creating the finish.

https://www.britannica.com/art/suiboku-ga
Takada-San keeps his technique a secret, but others have postulated that he covers the blades in a rag with some sort of etching agent to produce the finish. So it’s sort of like a forced patina I guess, but one that doesn’t rub off easily. It has the look of almost wrinkled denim to me. Each knife is different. Mine is pretty subtle and definitely best appreciated in person.

It refers to a style of ink painting, which he was inspired by when creating the finish.

https://www.britannica.com/art/suiboku-ga
Takada-San keeps his technique a secret, but others have postulated that he covers the blades in a rag with some sort of etching agent to produce the finish. So it’s sort of like a forced patina I guess, but one that doesn’t rub off easily. It has the look of almost wrinkled denim to me. Each knife is different. Mine is pretty subtle and definitely best appreciated in person.
So it's sorta like polishing it similar to what's done to bring out steel banding in other knives? As opposed to something like a migaki brushed finish, or a hazy kasumi I assume.

Does this have the same performance as the non-damascus suiboku equivalent? Is it ground to the same weight/ stats?
My dammy performs better than the Suiboku I had. May just be individual variation though. It definitely has more feedback but that may be down to harder cladding. The actual weight is higher due to handle material.

Latest posts

Back