Takamura bolsterless chromax?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all--I've been casting around for a good, modestly priced 180 gyuto/tall petty to try out the length and see if it serves well as a quick/small prep option between my Tanaka 150 petty and 210+ gyutos. The classic, well-loved Takamura R2 red handle has been high on my list along with a few others.

I recently discovered that there's a Takamura chromax line with cheaper, bolsterless black handles for quite cheap--MTC carries the 180mm gyuto for $86, and CKTG has a santoku version for even less.

I've searched and haven't seen the bolsterless line discussed here at all. Does anyone have experience with these, positive or negative? The R2 version is already at a very reasonable price point, but I'm a sucker for a good deal and at nearly half off these versions are tempting...

almost everyone appraises the Chromax, if you get the 180 you will love it as much as the r2. it will slowly patina but it holds an edge really good. the cheap and a bit too small handle is what makes it not so popular in this forum.

almost everyone appraises the Chromax, if you get the 180 you will love it as much as the r2. it will slowly patina but it holds an edge really good. the cheap and a bit too small handle is what makes it not so popular in this forum.

Thanks, good to hear it performs about the same. How bad/cheap does the handle feel in hand? I haven't really used that style of handle before, outside of crappy walmart type knives in a pinch.

Judging on the appearance of the handles construction and from my Chromax, the handle is probably really good for it's price point. Better than TF nashiji ones. The pins might stand ever so slightly proud, barely. Based on my experience with the bolstered Gyuto. And a little on the small side.

Back