Takamura r2 bolster - hairline gap. pls halp

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Takamura similar as yours, I've been using for 3 years didn't have any problem at all, don't worry.

@Marek07 I'm not discounting your feedback. Seems like you've been fortunate to nab some of the better pinned ones, but it also seems like this issue is definitely "out there" in terms of being a known feature of these knives, and it doesnt seem to be causing problems, so... I'll just skip the hassle of returning it. Thanks again for weighing in.
Perhaps you should discount my feedback! Seems my eyesight and my memory are getting unreliable. Sorry. :oops:

I had a Takamura Chromax en route so I waited for it to arrive before taking a group shot. L to R are my red handled R2 knives (petty, santoku, gyuto) and the recent Chromax gyuto. Seems they all have minute gaps when inspected closely. Never noticed this in normal use. The Chromax gap is barely visible yet the handle to bolster can be felt with a fingernail.

I guess my experience of their Uchigumo/Suminigashi range coloured my thinking - they are seemingly flawless. Can't speak to their their Pro HSPS line as I haven't had any in hand.

20200924_143931 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps you should discount my feedback! Seems my eyesight and my memory are getting unreliable. Sorry. :oops:

I had a Takamura Chromax en route so I waited for it to arrive before taking a group shot. L to R are my red handled R2 knives (petty, santoku, gyuto) and the recent Chromax gyuto. Seems they all have minute gaps when inspected closely. Never noticed this in normal use. The Chromax gap is barely visible yet the handle to bolster can be felt with a fingernail.

I guess my experience of their Uchigumo/Suminigashi range coloured my thinking - they are seemingly flawless. Can't speak to their their Pro HSPS line as I haven't had any in hand.

View attachment 95947
What do you think of the santoku, use it much?

What do you think of the santoku, use it much?
Not a huge fan. Much prefer the gyuto in that series. My wife used the santoku (along with the gyuto) a fair bit and liked it. Problem was it micro-chipped something awful - she's a rock chopper and they are very thin knives. I believe a micro bevel would help. On the plus side, it was easy to restore the edge on the stones.

Anyway... now she's just started giving the Chromax a test drive. I've only used it briefly but the edge seems more robust than the red handled Migaki R2 range. Yet to put it to the stones though.

My Takamura similar as yours, I've been using for 3 years didn't have any problem at all, don't worry.
Ive owned 2 red-handles (150 and 210). both have the same thing that yours has.
Gave 210 to my mother-in-law .... she puts it in the dishwasher regularly ... its been at least 3 years with no adverse effects.
If you are worried about it in say 10-20 years or something, a little nail polish will probably prevent any water getting in.
-L

Not a huge fan. Much prefer the gyuto in that series. My wife used the santoku (along with the gyuto) a fair bit and liked it. Problem was it micro-chipped something awful - she's a rock chopper and they are very thin knives. I believe a micro bevel would help. On the plus side, it was easy to restore the edge on the stones.

Anyway... now she's just started giving the Chromax a test drive. I've only used it briefly but the edge seems more robust than the red handled Migaki R2 range. Yet to put it to the stones though.
I've put a micro-bevel on my Chromax for home/wife use. About 20-25° on each side. Stopped the micro-chipping.

Back