Takamura R2 migaku 210 do and don't...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vk2109

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just been using my new Takamura R2 for a couple day and love it !! this knife is a joy to use and better balancing that my Miyabi Mizu,
specially when pinch griping. I gave the Miyabi Mizu to a familly member who....

Anyways, for those of who are using the R2 red handle one, was wondering (besides frozen and bones), what kind of others food you can't use with it ?

I tried the canteloupe but didn't want to push, so switch to my tsukiji masamoto sujihiki (VG10) and perfect. just wondering if for things like
squash, pinapple i should just use my sujihiki (and if needed bread knife) ? or do you guys use another gyuto/chef knife (like wusties) in parallel for this kind of job !

Thanks a lot

Vadim

Vadim,

Just pay attention to a couple of things: the blade is thin and the very edge is brittle. Installing a micro-bevel is a great idea to avoid micro-chipping.

Sure thing, stay away from anything hard/crusty/(semi-)frozen. I never had a problem with cutting pumpkins but I do pay attention to my cutting motions. And, well, I admit I do prefer using another gyuto for suspicious things generally…

Agree with the above, also, the initial edge on the Takamura R2 is fairly brittle in that you may see a bunch of little micro chips after a bit of using it. This is totally normal, I think just about everyone says the Takamura out the box edges are chippy but once you get past that edge and sharpen it up yourself the steel is actually quite tough and durable, just that initial edge is fragile. Happened on my R2 the most and a bit on my VG10 one as well although the vg10 one is a bit less chippy on the initial edge but again this is just the initial edge beyond that it's all good.

Thank you all ! Micro bevel is good idea !!

One last question, can the knife handle herbs chopping ? (haven't done) but planning for dinner prep tonight :laughingchef: ?

Cutting through hard stems with these is bad news, even incidentally. Squash and rosemary in my case, just wasn’t thinking. My girlfriend cut through chicken bones with hers, said she knew she shouldn’t so I’m still not sure why she did instead of using a Chicago Cutlery or something, and took a giant chunk out of it, took like 3 hours to fix (no belt grinder here).

Back