Takeda standard gyuto height

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wind88

Reaction score
I just won an auction for a Takeda NAS 240mm gyuto. The knife looks really tall in the picture so I asked the seller for some measurements.

I know that the "standard" Takeda gyutos are really tall and the height varies wildly from knife to knife.

With that being said, I was still shocked to be told that the knife measures a jaw dropping 68mm at the heel :dazed:

I will of course measure it myself once I get my hands on it.

Meanwhile, can others share the height of their Takeda?

I have a 270 NAS Takeda gyuto (not the sasanoha)… 60mm tall at the heel and about 62mm tall 40-50mm from the heel (Takeda has sort of a reverse belly)

For a 240mm yours defiantly sounds unique.

I'd also be curious to know how thin yours is on the spine above the heel? My 270mm is 2.57mm and it was made in 2014 apparently by Shosui himself. I've seen a 2016 era 210mm gyuto that was stated as 4.5mm on BST.

I have a 270 NAS Takeda gyuto (not the sasanoha)… 60mm tall at the heel and about 62mm tall 40-50mm from the heel (Takeda has sort of a reverse belly)

For a 240mm yours defiantly sounds unique.

I'd also be curious to know how thin yours is on the spine above the heel? My 270mm is 2.57mm and it was made in 2014 apparently by Shosui himself. I've seen a 2016 era 210mm gyuto that was stated as 4.5mm on BST.

I will get the measurements when it hopefully arrives next week.

I like my Takeda a lot. It is unique though, almost like a gigantic santoku but without any long flat spot. It's so tall that it seems veering towards Chinese cleaver territory rather than gyuto. It's also quite light for the size, so much so that I say it feels almost like a toy. I think it's a love it or hate it thing, but I fall on the love it side of the fence.

From what I've read, our monster size gyutos aren't the norm, 65+ mm are outliers.

I would be tempted by a 210 Gyuto at 67mm height. I think there was a video describing gone that size. Totally like a thin Chinese Cleaver with a small tip in Aogami Super!

There is no standard height for a Takeda gyuto; there's simply too much variation. When I purchased my Takeda a few years ago, I probably handled 5 or 6 in store, and each was wildly different from the next. Not just blade height, but length, thickness, profile, etc. -- each knife was completely unique. The knife I selected was close to 220/58/2.5 (or thereabouts) -- it had a slightly thicker spine, more pronounced distal taper, and no blade flex whatsoever. By contrast, one of the other gyutos I handled was closer to 190/65/1.5, and it performed like a completely different knife. Both were stamped as small gyutos, btw.

You'll find out soon enough if 68mm is too tall. If it is, I think you'll be able to sell it relatively quickly... and if not, you have a knife that will outlast you and your children, lol.

Thanks for the info.

The knife should arrive by Friday and I can't wait to check it out.

In my opinion they should all cut relatively the same regarding length, height or thickness. as it should be "makers mark" not just a randomness

Just received the 240 in the mail today. It's almost 68.5mm tall and around 245mm long as per my measurement using a cheapo ruler. It totally looks like a glorified santoku.

I also got the 210 in the mail and its around 61mm tall and 225mm long.

Both are NAS (stainless) version

Back