Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how I remember things....Back in the day there were 2 bladesmiths producing country or village style knives...useful, rustic, high on value, low on 'bling' (the word didn't even exist then). Carter & Watanabe. Both had one foot in rustic knives, and another in higher end offerings. Interestingly, Watanabes' offerings are almost unchanged - he seemed to do the best job of producing both rustic and high-er end knives. Carter has gravitated more and more towards the HG & IP offerings (funny how you almost NEVER see his Mutaki (sp?) knives for sale!)
These two were joined by a newcomer (to us) named Takeda. The 2 big reasons I remember a shift to include Takeda....the kurouchi finish was (and still is) UNIQUE, and you didn't have to pay for the upgrade to a rosewood handle. ( my first Carter was a SFGZ 6.5 funy with a rosewood handle upgrade...$147) "We" came to embrace Takeda because his knives were a great value, were very unique looking....and because of a $25 up-charge for a handle!

Of the three, IMHO, Takeda was then and still is the most 'rustic' of the three.

There are two features of Takeda - knife and individual - that in my observation have been consistent thru the years....communications with 'us' have always been lower on the list of priorities. Sometimes he can get back to you really quickly, sometimes he's buried in the shop or out doing knife shows, and you can't track him down for weeks. And...there is huge variation in the production of his knives...one 240 gyuto never ever seems to look like any other 240 gyuto coming out of the same shop on the same day.

Neither one of these features means his knives are great, or terrible, and lately it sounds like they can be both. These are just features of the man and his knife.

That's very odd. He's on at least once a day. Your message may have went to the "others" folder and he wouldn't see it. Try friending him and resend the message.

ETA: I had major wedging issues with mine and he fixed it. If you're in the US make sure you ship it priority and insure it. It's a hefty expense but the alternative is 20-35 days and no assurance it got there.

Thanks, I did just that. I'm asking if he can make me one with old grind.

I heard back from Takeda. There is a bit of a language barrier, but I think he basically said they make hand made knives to hopefully please most, though they misunderstand at first. I respect his opinions, but think I'll try a Watanabe.

Was thinking about going with a Watanabe but they're stainless clad, want to stay full carbon.

At the advice of Mark of CKTG I sent my yanagiba (pics before in this threat) to Takeda. He was very swift in responding to his email (within a day) and, although he didn't think it was necessary, agreed to thinning the knife.

Both my takedas had poor grinds or to be honest SH*T grinds. i sent them both back and he regrind them both. i had to pay the shipping to him witch i think he should have taken since it was a bad job from the start and if he wants to keep a good reputation he should look into this cuz its been alot knives comming out with massive wedges lately and its not what you want when you pay the high price. i could get a knife with a 10 times better bevel for 40 bucks..
+ side is that he did fix the knives fast. - i paid shipping to him. knives came back with big scratches on the bevel from the grinding wheel and micro chipped bevels.

Takeda time to concentrate on the product rather then the volym or you can move the shop to China.

One of the reasons my takeda's in the drawer. Sharp as hell, but wedges.
I need to thin out the shoulder..soon.hopefully.

Was this true with your custom profile Takeda, Mr. Magnus? Grind was bad after making a knife to your custom, blue printed specifications?

Since getting a Takeda, all my other knives pretty much get neglected.
I second this.

Seems to be alot of different Takeda's around, I'm very happy with both my Honesuki and Nakiri.

Yepp the custom was one of them. Thay are however very nice now after i have sent them back

Was this true with your custom profile Takeda, Mr. Magnus? Grind was bad after making a knife to your custom, blue printed specifications?

Playing Devil's Advocate, perhaps this is a good thing - if you want a Watanabe, buy a Watanabe - but as the maker intended it to be. It's what he knows/does best - through experience.

I'm with ya.

Plus, giving Takeda slack a couple of times is reasonable, but after a while it's BS.
We're talking about a guy who's work has gone up 100% in price in roughly 5 years. Who else can say that? Plus, less than stellar blades with QC all over the place. Folks, I'd be out of a job and no one would care.
Also, please take into account the Japanese work ethic where your REP is everything and where you MUST do your best at ALL times without excuses.
Watanabe on the other hand is still rocking and rolling in terrific fashion, trying out some new things and keeping his prices reasonable.
COme on guys, call it as you see it!

let the choil shots speak.

when i got them
%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

Now
IMG_0230_zpsd13eef91.jpg

In your case I wouldnt be happy either Magnus!

Seriously unimpressive grind, no other way of putting it.

I purchased a Takeda gyuto in 2008. It was pretty good (and much better ground, thinner with greater concavity than the one above) but not a game changer. My Yoshikane migaki is superior in every way, except it is a touch harder to sharpen.

I like the original grind your knives had more magnus. Mine is like that but the bevels and the grind are a bit more asymetrical. Amazing for food release. And just a fantastic cutter all around.

I like the original grind your knives had more magnus. Mine is like that but the bevels and the grind are a bit more asymetrical. Amazing for food release. And just a fantastic cutter all around.

Really? I guarantee it was wedge city.

I made a 2 1/2 pans of hash browns (cubed style) quicker with my takeda than other gyutos ive used. No wedging great food release. I literally didnt have to stop to clean cut potatoes off my blade once. If potatoes are a good test for wedging then i would say my takeda performed well.

bABsqsg.jpgg

This usually is a telling test for me. The narrower section usually shows stiction well too.

Wedging is not much of an issue with good technique. Those who can't alter geometries themselves shouldn't even bother with hand made knives.

Well sure, with proper technique delicate brain surgery should be perfectly feasible when using a chainsaw, and those who can't modify chains to suit their needs shouldn't even bother.

The current Takedas look like crap, and the fact that he's perfectly willing to re-grind them suggests to me that he's taking advantage of the now famous name to pump as many knives out as possible, knowing that most buyers won't know any better.

Wedging is not much of an issue with good technique. Those who can't alter geometries themselves shouldn't even bother with hand made knives.

IDK, I mean there is a difference between a knife which is awesome OOTB, but you know it needs to be opened up properly on the stones by someone who really knows what they're doing to be epic and a knife that is just meh as all hell OOTB, yet still costs a small fortune.

I'm not talking about the Takeda's specifically, have no experience with them and am a complete novice when it comes to sharpening as well, just saying as an in general IMHO it's pretty absurd that a knife which cost nearly $300 isn't at least really good OOTB even if it isn't close to it's potential til it's done up for a couple hours to perfect it and bring the most out of it.

Like maybe an M3 isn't on the level of a Ferrari til a Dinan tuner gets their hands on it plus throws an extra 70K into it, but a stock M3 still shouldn't be some complete rough around the edges slopbox that can't compete with a Honda Civic Si. It should still be really really good right off the dealer floor and very enjoyable even if it isn't a complete world beater when it's stock.

Back