Takefu Knife Village

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marginCall

Reaction score
Hey,

Has anyone here have experience with Takefu Knife Village in Echizen/ Fukui? It seems like you can take some knife courses or demonstrations but there seems to be a Japanese proficiency requirement?

Also, I know there are a quite a few famous knife makers here such as Kurosaki, Kato, Ikeda. I feel like I am missing a few. Do you guys know which smiths I should try to visit?

Thanks for any insight.

I was there weekend before last. They are remodeling for the next few weeks, so not sure what will be available. The only way I found to correspond is Facebook Messenger, and they typically get back to you within 24 hours.

I found it very worthwhile. If your Japanese is not great (or nonexistent like mine) they can arrange a translator for you. There are maybe a dozen artisans there, and a couple well-known designers that have pieces fabricated there. There are displays from several blacksmiths with tools, knives, etc. you can purchase. The prices are fair, but not screaming deals. One thing I wanted to get on my trip to Japan was a wood scribing knife (Kiridashi). I saw several at Takefu and elsewhere, but they were quite a bit more expensive than I was willing to pay given my infrequent use ($100 - $500).

Their big thing they "push" (for lack of a better word) is a 2-day knife making class. I didn't have the time, so set up a "custom" knife sharpening class on a Sunday morning. It was supposed to be 60 minutes, but they spent ~90 minutes with me. Communication, even with a translator, was a bit challenging, but I'm really glad I did it.

When I was there only one smith was working, and I didn't get his name.

i attended a full day event,,, only 2 "grasshoppers" a young male Japanese teacher who is looking into Blacksmithing and myself .Playing the Power hammer and the big wheels and the "kanjiing" was fun.

there should be quite a few makers... I know of Kamosan, Kitoakasan, Yaujisan and Y.katosan and a few others..Kurosaki's space is just outside the round building and theres another new building being erected.. almost complete.

Not much for sale knives on display. Any questions, if necessary, the shopkeeper can call out the blacksmith.

have fun

2 "grasshoppers"

“It's not an easy phrase to Google. Even when you now know the answer.”

Some people think it is originally from the karate kid movie (1984).

“It's from the old TV show Kung Fu...” “On October 14, 1972, Warner Brothers release the series "Kung Fu" featuring a Shaolin priest...and his journey through the old West. What was new to the American public was not only the fighting but the philosophy that was presented with each show. In each episode, Kwai Chang Caine recalls a memorable moment when his wise teachers, Master Kan or Master Po, taught him a lesson which provides an insight to his current problem.”

“At one point Master Po asks young Kwai Chang Kane what he hears ... there is a grasshopper at his feet ... so his teacher nicknames him 'grasshopper'.”

Thanks. This is really helpful. The info on Takefu knife village is few and sparse. I am driving up from Kyoto to Fukui and I will taking my wife, brother and his gf. Not sure how the ladies will think if we did a 2 day knife making course. It seems like more of a "doing" place and a "buying" place. Hopefully I can meet a few blacksmiths.

I think my brother is looking to pick up a gyuto or 2. I am looking at a 270mm or so suji and bunka. Are there any Takefu special knives? It seems like they export everything.

Thanks. This is really helpful. The info on Takefu knife village is few and sparse. I am driving up from Kyoto to Fukui and I will taking my wife, brother and his gf. Not sure how the ladies will think if we did a 2 day knife making course. It seems like more of a "doing" place and a "buying" place. Hopefully I can meet a few blacksmiths.

I think my brother is looking to pick up a gyuto or 2. I am looking at a 270mm or so suji and bunka. Are there any Takefu special knives? It seems like they export everything.
I'd definitely recommend contacting them on FB to find out what's going on when you'll be there. As I mentioned they are remodeling the main building which is disrupting classes, et al. I took the train from Kyoto to Kanazawa where I stayed the night. It is a really pretty trip. Early Sunday morning I got up and took the train to Takefu. The dragon in the train station is definitely worth checking out. The more interesting knife designs were posted with "no photography" signs which I respected.

The Takefu knives that are made during the class (at least the one they gave me after I sharpened it) are stainless-clad W1 carbon steel with kinda cheesy handles. There are some interesting designs that bear the Takefu name along with the maker/designer. There were some nice looking Gyutos and the prices were reasonable--about $200 for a 240 mm. There were also some much more expensive knives. The most expensive I saw were from a designer/maker Kazuo Kawasaki with metal handles.
takefu-knife-village.jpg

Trip Advisor has some decent pics of what to expect:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...-Echizen_Fukui_Prefecture_Hokuriku_Chubu.html

Here are a few pics from my trip.
IMG_1867[1].JPG
IMG_1868[1].JPG
IMG_1871[1].JPG
IMG_1873[1].JPG
IMG_1875[1].JPG

Last edited:
I am heading to japan on a few weeks. I plan to go here and if time permits do one of the knive making courses and sharpening course. I will also be heading to seki knife village and sakai. I will post photos/info

I just finished my trip to TKV. The guys on the forum gave great advise. Make sure you facebook them to see if there are classes available. The main building is under going major renovations.

I am heading to japan on a few weeks. I plan to go here and if time permits do one of the knive making courses and sharpening course. I will also be heading to seki knife village and sakai. I will post photos/info

Also, recommended that you travel by car or taxi if you want to take a look around echizen. I suppose bike will be fine as well. Things are a little far if you want to walk around.

Nice write up, I’ll be visiting there next month. As usual, some great info on the forums.

All i know is that kurosaki operates from this place and he makes the most brutal designs right now. by far.

All i know is that kurosaki operates from this place and he makes the most brutal designs right now. by far.
I apologise for my lack of understanding of your desceiption but could you clarify whether in this case "brutal" is a good or a bad thing? And perhaps describe what it means in terms of the design's performance or aesthetic? Thanks.

I think he makes really nice looking blades pretty much. the "performance" you have to fix yourself as with all blades. to your liking. i thinned mine. I'm not a pro user so i'm happy with many things. ymmv.

I am still trying to decide whether to do both seki knife village & takefu knife village or choose 1 over the other to make room for other activities on my trip.

Any ardvice?

20190319_151037.jpg 20190319_135620.jpg 20190319_134312.jpg 20190319_142413.jpg 20190319_142418.jpg
20190416_145533.jpg
Besides echizen and seki, you can go to sakai for knives too!

Seki is more mass produced style while echizen is more of a group of individual smiths. Spyderco is also based in seki. Both are in the region. And make sure you try Hida-gyu.

I just got back from japan. And did the 1 day knife making course.

Loved the experience.

I got heat metal using the forge, use the power hammer, grind the bevels on large wet stone wheels, heat treat, sharpen and engrave my knife. For a novice knife make it was a great experience.

Being a fan of knives and reading forums helped my understanding of explanations as the interpreter did not always interpret.

I guess my only real negatives of the course if you can call them that is as follows

You do not get much if any creative control. After drawing out the metal/knife on the power hammer you place it into a large machine that 'punches' your knife out from a template giving you the shape.

You do get to choose if you want stainless or carbon.

Also what finish on the knive.

I also would have loved to be ablebto choose diferent handle options

I would have loved to of been able to make the knife my own shape etc. I believe you can do this on the 2 day course but i did not have enough time.

The above critique wasn't a major concern though as i really enjoyed myself and got to learn more about one of my interests

20190507_232621.jpg
20190507_161755.jpg
20190507_090801.jpg
20190507_101153.jpg
20190507_232605.jpg
20190517_155640.jpg
20190517_155659.jpg
20190517_155741.jpg

Very cool! I'm not a fan of the handle on my knife either. The wood is fine, but I don't like the plastic ferrule. The steel is quite good on my knife (stainless clad). I like the finish of your knife much better!

How was the language barrier? Did you have a translator?

Very cool! I'm not a fan of the handle on my knife either. The wood is fine, but I don't like the plastic ferrule. The steel is quite good on my knife (stainless clad). I like the finish of your knife much better!

How was the language barrier? Did you have a translator?

Cheers yeah i feel the same about the ferrule. I believe i had the same translator as you? The lady in your picture. I found that i was able to roughly understand what was being instructed by just visually seeing what the instructor was doing. The translator was good to confirm my questions

Back