Tall knives - v2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i wanted to reopen a discussion about taller knives. There was a thread about them a year or so ago, wanted to see what y’all still think. Personally I like them tall, 55 to 60 even is good. Ive been rotating the collection, my current tall gyutos to note are a takeda @ 60 and a TX @ 58. What are your tall knives? I know lots of western makers will make them bigger and badder, where can we get some tall knives from Japanese makers? Seems many stop at around 54.
And to be clear we’re talking 240’s

I like my knives like my women: tall.
My tallest knife is a Kurosaki Chuka @ 75mm, Mazaki Nakiri @58, Hiromoto Gin3 270 Gyuto @ 55. On that note I find the 210 Kaeru to feel taller than the 48 it actually is.

I like my knives like my women: tall.
My tallest knife is a Kurosaki Chuka @ 75mm, Mazaki Nakiri @58, Hiromoto Gin3 270 Gyuto @ 55. On that note I find the 210 Kaeru to feel taller than the 48 it actually is.

Can you post a pic of the Kurosaki? Curious about that one ...

Can you post a pic of the Kurosaki? Curious about that one ...
Sure! Very nice if you like a smaller Chuka
_20190111_171452.jpeg

I think my catcheside is around 54 and thats about as high as ill go.

ive been looking at a z Kramer for a while now. Hey does anyone know when they go on sale? I vaguely remember them for a cheap price at sur la table or somethinf

You can get them for 20% off at Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon.
Not supposed to work for Zwilling but it will...
PM me for a coupon code if you need one.

Last edited:
Tallest 240 gyutos I owned are:

Takeda NAS 68mm
Togashi B1 55-56mm
Toyama 54mm

I see a trend in the name...

ive been looking at a z Kramer for a while now. Hey does anyone know when they go on sale? I vaguely remember them for a cheap price at sur la table or somethinf

Get on the Zwilling mailing list to follow their sales. At least here in Canada, depending on what line your looking at you can get some good sales every so often. At their retail store I picked up the 10" Essential for 50% of MSRP, and then about three months later I saw it for 65% off at there warehouse (which happens to be local for me)

Nice. Does anyone know of more Japanese makers doing 56+?

Watanabe would make you one if you ask him nicely ... but I think his 270's are taller than 55 anyway ... maybe even the 240. I just sold mine so I can't check haha.

And Toyama 240 is 55, so I assume a 270 might be 56 or more.... not sure though.

well, and then there's this baby ... with tiny 75mm height haha

https://hitohira-japan.com/collections/nos-vintage-sk/products/zaa-010-fa270?variant=8553794306101

Tall knife = get Kippington on the horn

How'd you like it? Supersized santoku on steroids? I can image the advantage of suck a tall gyuto for big piles of greens.

Yeah, made veggie soup and it really worked well for that.

Came pretty sharp Ootb, but the spine is quite uncomfortable in pinch grip and food release is basically non existent (that was expected).... but I do get it when pros use large(r) knives when prepping lots of veggies ....

I think I’d take a cleaver over this baby though

Wat 270 is close to 60. Pretty sure the 240 is over 55.

Shiro Kamo R2 270 is tall. I'd say close to 60. The 240 is reasonably tall too IIRC.

Wat 270 is close to 60. Pretty sure the 240 is over 55.

Shiro Kamo R2 270 is tall. I'd say close to 60. The 240 is reasonably tall too IIRC.

The 240 Toyama is 55.... given that the blades basically have the exact same profile I’d say the Watanabe is 55 as well .... just a guess though

Back