Tall Nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
Who makes a tall Nakiri for good money (i.e. not a total custom) in the ~$150 range? I'm liking the GESSHIN URAKU 165MM SKD NAKIRI from JKI but, I'm looking for something flatter and a little more cleaver'sih.

I'm flexible on the handle and Saya but, I want either stainless clad or preferably something like this SKD semi-stainless, whether stainless clad or not. I have an all-stainless Nakiri now that is okay but, I really need something taller.

TIA,
Sid

CKTG has an a section of tall nakiri's, but I don't think they have any stainless clad ones at your price point. (The Matsubara Blue is nearly double your price point.)

https://www.**************.com/tallnakiris.html

I have mixed feelings about CKTG so, I don't check that site often. The Masakage Kiri VG-10 Nakiri is tempting but it is out of stock and slightly above my preferred price point at the moment.

You can pick up a Yoshimitsu Fugen tall nakiri off of CKTG for that price or under. I have one and love it. Nice grind, very tall and cleaver - like.

You can pick up a Yoshimitsu Fugen tall nakiri off of CKTG for that price or under. I have one and love it. Nice grind, very tall and cleaver - like.
Yours or the Yamashin will be my first knife of the new year(starting relatively cheap). I’m glad to hear good things.

I need something 2 1/2" (~65mm) tall to be a worthwhile upgrade. If I could find a 'flat' Chinese cleaver that was not too long, I'd be very interested in that.

The Chinese cleavers I have tried and see all had a lot of belly (curve) in them and I prefer the flatness of my Nakiri. The Chinese cleavers are too long to be practical in my kitchen right now which is tight on counter space with very low cabinets so, cutting boards are pretty small too.

Back