Tall petty knives recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Singapore

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?

Petty

Are you right or left handed?

Lefty

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Anything between 135-150mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

150 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Pro environment

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Mainly for processing veggies

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Never owned a petty

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push cut and slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I've always been a lover of tall gyutos like the Mazaki Kasumi 240mm because of my freakishly large hands so I hope I could find similar qualities in a petty too. My ideal petty is the extra-tall Fernandez petty, but I can't find it anywhere anymore so I hope you guys have recommendations for similar pettys!

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

No preference

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Something that'll help me get through hours of veggie prep

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Preferably something with less reactivity with food

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Anything that'll last at least 2 weeks before sharpening in a pro environment

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes! Always looking for good stones that leave a nice polish and a good bite to an edge :)

Munetoshi 165 petty works well as a tall petty or small gyuto, it sounds like you are looking for something like that. It is a bit longer than what you requested but might work well. The only thing is I don’t know how symmetric these are and how well they work for a lefty, maybe some lefties can comment.

Kaeru 150 might work too, but it is not nearly as tall, but more stain resistant.

Are you sure you aren't looking for a Nakiri? Because from the sound of it, it would fit "Tall" and "Veg Prep" like a glove, and at that price point and length (150-165) there are many options

I would only add that Munetoshi 165 is a great knife and the grind is symmetrical.

Another option would be 135 Zakuri funayuki.

I would only add that Munetoshi 165 is a great knife and the grind is symmetrical.

Another option would be 135 Zakuri funayuki.

I have both munetoshi petty and 240 Gyuto.
Personally I am more impressed with the petty.
IMG_7780.jpg

Are you sure you aren't looking for a Nakiri? Because from the sound of it, it would fit "Tall" and "Veg Prep" like a glove, and at that price point and length (150-165) there are many options

I actually love the heights of nakiris but I I'd like a nice, short blade to compliment my 240mm Mazaki and also I do a lot of precision work so it'd be nice to have a pointed tip :)

Watanabe is just out of your price range (when postage is factored in): http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/petite.htm

Very hard HT of blue 2 with good edge retention. Stainless clad, KU finish. Cheapish handle.

Note that many forum members feel (it is a subject of ongoing discussion) that if you are cutting a lot of acidic foods, a stainless blade may be a better idea. In this case, check out the Tanaka Ginsan Najishi: http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-petty-150mm-with-ebony-handle/

Love my mazaki 180 petty, comes in at 187/37. I don’t have huge hands so I’ve got plenty of knuckle clearance, that and a very nice grind makes for good board work, and for some reason this knife draw cuts really well.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/wakui-shop/item/kinjiro-santoku150-c/

I've ordered a 270 gyuto and 210 suji through this shop without issue (besides a little lead time,) these rip and this one always caught my eye. I believe rakuten has an in-house forwarding service now which can make things easier. I guess more of a santoku/bunka but if heel height is a must that may be a route to consider. Tip here looks useful as far as these kind of knives go.

As much as I like wakui, I wouldn’t recommend it in this particular instance as I found the pettys to be not that tall(kaeru either).
Tanaka ginsanko is a great option although the profile is closer to mini suji not mini gyuto so it wouldn’t be great for board work.
Hinoura and munetoshi pettys both look mini gyuto ish to me.

You see that one though? 150 santoku, not their petty as offered at aframes

Didn't think of it before but teruyasu fujiwara nashiji petty is dirt cheap direct. They are all over the place in height and profile but when I inquired about a 36mm+ model in the past they said it wouldn't be a problem. Think you could upgrade to buffalo horn wa handle and even add a saya and still make it out under budget. I'm hesitant to gamble with the high end lines, especially direct but nashiji is hard to beat at that price.

Wasn't going to say it but seeing as @Xenif already has...
A nakiri came to mind when I saw your post. Sure it doesn't have a point but it's certainly tall enough for large fingers though a little longer than your desired length and can prep veggies all day long. Cheaper 165mm nakiris worth considering are mentioned in this recent thread: https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/nakiri.37808/. If a nakiri doesn't suit, you'd get more height out of a short gyuto or possibly a bunka IMO. Never seen a petty with substantial height but I'm happy to be corrected.

Edit: Teruyasu Fujiwara makes a 150mm nakiri.

Looks so tempting to own another mazaki haha but I'm worried about knuckle clearance
34mm is pretty good, you could always ask if there's a taller unit in stock. My 180 is ~36-37 mm like above. You are getting into bunka territory. Maybe a Ginga 180 wa gyuto? They'll run short

Last edited:
OP based on your description of "ideal petty" @ 135x40mm, i'd skip alot of "petty knives" and look for a smller funayuki.

OP based on your description of "ideal petty" @ 135x40mm, i'd skip alot of "petty knives" and look for a smller funayuki.

That's true haha I think at this point I'm not looking for a petty. I've narrowed down my choices to a
Nishida White #1 Polished Ko Bocho 120mm from CKTG and a Takeo Murata Blue #1 Ko Bocho 120mm from Epicurean Edge. I'd say both these knives are measuring 40mm from spine to heel

Back