Tall ss petty knife recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlock0083

Reaction score
Haven't posted in awhile (new job and kids are taking up all my time). Anyway, I traded for a Konosuke gyuto that was converted to a petty (thanks LucaFur!). So it's quite tall and kinda cute (if knives can be cute). My wife loves using it. We cut up a lot of whole pineapples to store in the freezer for smoothies. One morning I saw my wife take a huge chunk of frozen pineapple and proceeded to cut them up using the petty. My heart sank, I kindly told her it's probably not good to do that, but she told me it's fine and she's done it many times. I now know why it dulls so quickly. Anyway, I would like recommendations for a new petty (something on the taller side 45mm ish) nothing fancy, but it really does need to be stainless.

45mm is not really in the realm of petty knives, more like short gyuto knives. The best tall petty I know is yhe Munetoshi 165. It is 40mm tall and a really nice multipurpose small knife, but not stainless.

With height as much as 45 mm you are either looking at a santoku type of a knife or something where the handle is considerably angled relative to the cutting edge (have a look at some of the tall petty knives from Bloodroot Blades). I am not aware of such a serial production knife though.

Dang, I guess I would be looking at santokus. or 160'ish gyoto. Thanks Matus.

Wait, there is one. The Zwilling Kramer in 160 size from FC61 (should be like AEB-L or similar) steel. The handle is on the robust side though.

If that does not work that maybe Suisin Inox santoku. They have just a basic flat grind, but the steel (AUS8) has a decent HT and will withstand some less than gentle handling. The F&F is great fir the price and the handle should fit a smaller hand well

Awesome, thank you guys for the suggestions! This is definitely the first time I’m considering a santoku.

I couldn't find a tall enough petty for quick and dirty work while catering, ended up going with a 180mm Gesshin Ginga gyuto that I like a lot for the application. If's a sweetie.

Last edited:
The masashi is tempting (the choil shot!). I’ve decided on ashi home set at JKI (130mm and a 170mm santoku). Honestly I think the lower hardness (like the suisin inbox) is probably better for the wife in this case. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Sounds like a sensible choice - that particular combination actually did cross my mind, but it has been a long time since I checked them out that I was not sure about price/design in detail.

Well...Shun Hiro or Fuji 6 inch Chef are stainless, >45mm tall and 155 mm long, with a SG2 core. They are not worth the price tag for sure...just something that match your needs.

Well...Shun Hiro or Fuji 6 inch Chef are stainless, >45mm tall and 155 mm long, with a SG2 core. They are not worth the price tag for sure...just something that match your needs.
Currently discounted: https://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun...135874?refSrc=35867&nosto=nosto-page-product1

Available in 4.5", 5.5", and 7".

There is also a 6" chef's knife: https://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-hiro-sg2/chefs-knife-stand-p135872

These are definitely on the tall side.

I have an 8.5" (210 mm) Shun Hiro Gyuto, which is excellent, IMO. Great fit and finishing, and the SG2 core holds its edge extremely well and is quite easy to sharpen. Not the best value for money, but good quality.

Currently discounted: https://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun...135874?refSrc=35867&nosto=nosto-page-product1

Available in 4.5", 5.5", and 7".

There is also a 6" chef's knife: https://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-hiro-sg2/chefs-knife-stand-p135872

These are definitely on the tall side.

I have an 8.5" (210 mm) Shun Hiro Gyuto, which is excellent, IMO. Great fit and finishing, and the SG2 core holds its edge extremely well and is quite easy to sharpen. Not the best value for money, but good quality.
Yes, I have a Shun Fuji 8.5” SG2 Gyuto which I got for like 165 USD on eBay (new but no box), which is really a good deal IMHO. And I’ve being always wanting something from Shun Hiro just because it looks so nice. Shun Fuji is not the best cutter, but still sharp enough for my wife or guests.

People here don’t recommend mass production product unless it’s Tojiro or Mac, but I occasionally found great deal from Shun, Yaxell and Zwilling. I got the Zwilling Twin Cermax 8 inch Gyuto for $120...a ZDP-189 blade for $120. I just can’t resist. And it is actually very thinly ground and cuts well if you can get used to the heavy handle. Another knife to consider,
Yaxell 7 inch VG10 Nakiri for $69. I actually got it for $55 with additional 20% off. It’s cheaper than most Tojiro. Great fnf even has nice hammered look. You just can’t beat this kind of deal. It’s SS VG10, “tall” near the heel (tall everywhere lol), 7 inch length, just no tip...but still cuts . If the OP is ok with nakiri, this one is a great deal.
https://www.cutleryandmore.com/yaxell-tsuchimon/nakiri-knife-p137268

Last edited:
Back