Tanaka Blue #2 Nashiji versus Damascus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Does anyone have experience with these two Tanaka Blue #2 knives (links below)? It seems that the damascus might be a little bigger overall, but its also possible that is just variation among individual samples. The nashiji is stainless clad, whereas the damascus might be reactive, but I am not sure. Any idea whether these perform differently or have meaningful differences in profile, grind, performance, etc.? Thanks for your help!

Nashiji: http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-blue-2-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-stainless-clad/
Damascus: http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...uto-240mm-with-custom-octagonal-ebony-handle/

Hi, fwiw the damascus clad knife is no longeras reactive as the older models. Size should be about the same though there is some variation in individual blades. I personally don't care for stainless cladding but that's really the only difference in the 2 knives. Excellent blades for the money just depends on which cladding you prefer.

Hi, fwiw the damascus clad knife is no longeras reactive as the older models. Size should be about the same though there is some variation in individual blades. I personally don't care for stainless cladding but that's really the only difference in the 2 knives. Excellent blades for the money just depends on which cladding you prefer.

Thanks, can I ask why you don't like stainless cladding? I have heard that before but I am not sure what are the disadvantages of stainless compared to reactive cladding.

My Damascus and Nashiji had totally different grinds. My Nashiji is much lighter, even with the heavy K&S handle. I recently sold the Damascus or I would do a side by side comparison.

The B2 nashiji has a wide bevel hollow grind and the dammy has sweet convex grind. Nashiji is thinner behind the edge. The cutting performance is about the same.

The B2 nashiji has a wide bevel hollow grind and the dammy has sweet convex grind. Nashiji is thinner behind the edge. The cutting performance is about the same.

Is it possible that i would like the B2 nashiji with its wide bevel if i didn't like the konosuke Fujiyama? I generally have noticed im not a fan of wide bevels.

Thanks, can I ask why you don't like stainless cladding? I have heard that before but I am not sure what are the disadvantages of stainless compared to reactive cladding.

Seems less organic:)

Bumped his head when he was a child:groucho:

This is true, but what's wrong with bumping your head?

Strange but although it appears to be a wide bevel knife I thought that was more cosmetic...that said, I didn't sharpen it. Performance seemed almost identical to blue 2 dammy which has become thinner and thinner over recent iterations though the grind is still convex. Nashiji was definitely not as dramatic a wide bevel as the older ginsan nashiji...which I felt was a true wide bevel knife...there is a passaround thread you should read which has reviews on the blue2 nashiji...

Is it possible that i would like the B2 nashiji with its wide bevel if i didn't like the konosuke Fujiyama? I generally have noticed im not a fan of wide bevels.
I sold my Kono Fuji blue and still have the Tanaka Nashiji if that tells you anything.

Java and dwalker (and other who have used both), which do you prefer and recommend to others from your experience?
They are both excellent knives, but like i said, my samples were very different. I didn't notice any convex in the nashiji, but I can put a straight edge on it this afternoon to check for certain. I would tell you to get both as I did. The only reason I sold the Damascus is because if a performance overlap with my Toyama that barely suited my style more. Both are top performers. You should try them both. If a reactive clad knife is too much trouble for you to keep up with, the choice is clear. If not flip a coin and then buy the other later.

No idea about the Kono Fuji, but I too tend to steer clear of wide bevels in general, but really like the Tanaka nashiji B2.

No idea about the Kono Fuji, but I too tend to steer clear of wide bevels in general, but really like the Tanaka nashiji B2.
I feel the same way. The Tanaka Nashiji is my only wide bevel and my only stainless clad knife.

I feel the same way. The Tanaka Nashiji is my only wide bevel and my only stainless clad knife.

Again, this knife didn't behave as a wide bevel imo. That said I didn't use it a whole lot and really interested to hear what you find dwalker when you put a straight edge up to it this evening. If it's a true wide bevel it should be very obvious when sharpening but again I didn't sharpen the knife. I actually enjoy certain wide bevels such as Kochi (and wide bevel ginsan nashiji from Tanaka) so may be less of an issue for me.

After all that, I still preferred the classic dammy blue2 to any other Tanakas I've tried...the earlier were actually my favorite for cutting performance as a bit more heft but I'll trade that to get a cladding like the newer dammy which is so much less reactive. The early ones were too reactive for me by far while the current cladding is not so reactive at all.

I have the 210 Tanaka blue 2 Nashiji and it is a joy to use.I actually like the stainless clad.However,out of pure enjoyment and a wanting that I can't seem to control,I ordered a 240mm Tanaka blue2 Kurouchi gyuto to sit along side this one.Yes it is a sickness and oh yes,I was dropped on my head too.I even have a flat spot to prove it.

VrKbjng.jpg

The Nashiji is ever so slightly concave. It's grind is true to the shonogi line.

VrKbjng.jpg

The Nashiji is ever so slightly concave. It's grind is true to the shonogi line.

Nice, makes me wish I'd paid better attention. Guessing it's not a Shigeki though...pretty sure he only does the dammy blue2.

VrKbjng.jpg

Yep, that's the wide bevel hollow grind I was talking about which makes it so nice and thin behind the edge. Looks exactly like the one I have. Earlier I was looking at your choil shot from the pass around thread and you can see it there too.

I had several discussions with James about the Tanaka Nashiji:s he commissioned for the B2 and ginsan steels and he said they would have the same grind and profile only the core steel would be different. The samples I have are exactly the same.

But the grind is very different from the original ginsan nashiji from way back which is not as thin behind the edge. The shinogi line (if my memory serves me right) doesn't go as high and the core steel is less visible at the edge as with the ones James has. All that should translate to a thicker behind the edge grind with the older models compared to the new ones.

Java and dwalker (and other who have used both), which do you prefer and recommend to others from your experience?

Man that's a though one. Tanaka is most known for his convex grinds that aren't lasers but cut like they are with the added decent food release lasers never have. The B2 dammy is one of those knives.

But twist my arm and I'd probably pick the nashiji, but with the smallest of margin. The difference is so small I could be imagining it, but the nashiji cuts just a little bit more effortlessly and the dammy has slightly better food release. Also I prefer SS clad.

You can't go wrong with either.

BTW the reason some don't like the SS cladding is the that they can be a pain to thin when the that time comes. some SS claddings are very wear resistant and soft. They're grabby on the stones, can clog them up fast and feels irritating. The cladding scratches easy and it's a lot of work to clean up and polish. The carbon steel cladded knives are much easier to maintain.

I still prefer the trade off of more care free nature of the SS clad knives.
...But different strokes ETC.

Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji Lite is a nice cutter & handle for the price. Bought a bunch of Tanaka's both from James and Metalmaster. Kept the Lite for myself sold the rest they will be well used.

How about the Tanaka B2 Kurouchi version? Is there much difference with the kuro and the other 2? (considering the two discussed is pretty similar)

Also the R2 version.

How about the Tanaka B2 Kurouchi version? Is there much difference with the kuro and the other 2? (considering the two discussed is pretty similar)

Also the R2 version.

The Metal Master Kurouchi has Horn collar and is cheaper than CKTG with the crappy plastic collar. It has a much beefier grind than the clad Nashiji B2 & Ginsan.

One of those knives you grab for jobs don't want to use your thin edge blades for.

Back